Why does it take 4-6 weeks after passing the PE to recieve a license in some states?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechE1906

Reaction score
Some states take 4-6 weeks after you pass the exam to issue a license. what could possibly take 4-6 weeks?

Some states make you wait until the next board meeting and some state boards meet monthly.  During this meeting they approve the NCEES results and issue licenses thereafter.

They can't be that outdated. They for sure have to have that information in some data base. lol I think you are joking.
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I saw a news article this week that the military is still using floppy disks to control some elements of our defense systems!  So maybe be glad its not taking 4-6 months ;)

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/us-military-still-uses-floppy-105000789.html
I'm on a project where we are replacing a cooling plant component. The cooling plant is on a military base.  It is estimated that it will take 6 months to get base approval before we can go out to bid the component.   Zzzzzzzzz

I did a ton of design work for military bases with my last company. Something like a roof replacement would take over 9 months to go from preliminary design to bid. Then It would take around 2-3 months for material delivery and installation. These were one for one replacements of metal panel roofs, already damaged, leaking, and in hurricane prone areas. Long story short...government.

They have to justify their job until the next set of applications arrive for processing.

I hate tapatalk

I'm still waiting for my PE number here in FL?.  My only comfort is that my raise has already be given and it is effective in this next paycheck?. Well it would be, but I also started contributing to the 401k so it almost evens out my take home pay.

I'm still waiting for my PE number here in FL?.  My only comfort is that my raise has already be given and it is effective in this next paycheck?. Well it would be, but I also started contributing to the 401k so it almost evens out my take home pay.
what percentage raise did you get? 

what percentage raise did you get? 
Last year my boss said he would be withholding my raises until I pass as additional financial motivation. Then once I pass he would give me a "double raise". Kinda a jerk move but apparently it worked, cause I studied my tail off. When I passed he asked about my future plans with the company to make sure I was in for the long haul. Then he made me wait a few days to run the numbers and talk to the other partners at the firm. It worked out to about 15%. But then they raised my billable rate by 20% so it really doesn't cost them much since a lot of my time is hourly billable direct to clients.

In that same conversation we discussed my path to obtain profit share (Vice President) and then ultimately to be a partner at the firm within a certain time frame. Needless to say I was pleased with how it worked out. But I bring a lot of my own clients in and I handle the difficult clients so they know it would be hard (not impossible) to replace me. My other options of jumping ship or starting my own firm would take a certain number of clients away from them in our small market. And we are super busy right now (all time high for monthly billings) which I'm sure had something to do with their generosity. Throughout the year I made it a point to show them some profitable project I completed and some big deals I landed. You have to be strategic with the right people in the right way if you want them to notice when the opportunity arises. I talked to one partner about communication with his buddies, the other partner only cared about big deals, and another partner only wanted to see jobs completed without noise from the client. I tried to focus on that for each of them to keep everyone happy happy happy. Also I had to massage the office manager and the peons in the office to make sure I stayed off the bad radars.

I tried to focus on that for each of them to keep everyone happy happy happy. Also I had to massage the office manager and the peons in the office to make sure I stayed off the bad radars.
It sounds like there was a happy ending. 

It worked out to about 15%. But then they raised my billable rate by 20% so it really doesn't cost them much since a lot of my time is hourly billable direct to clients.
I don't think that is surprising.  All companies, no matter how magnanimous are a business.  The billable rates are almost always a direct correlation of your take-home pay times some multiplier.  One raises, the other raises as a result.  They won't just raise your pay but eat the cost internally, just doesn't make business sense.  

Back