Lone Wolf state?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHW 3d

Here's Johnny...
Reaction score
Is it possible that a state may reject a result provided them by NCEES? This begs the question...

Is it possible two people from different states that answered identically could conceivably end up with different results? (One passing, one failed)

If it is not possible.... What value add is there for states to review the results?

Not looking to flame states. Just trying to understand what the mechanisms are here, and what's going on behind the scenes.

I believe in GA any wounded veteran of war gets 5% added to their score so i believe it would be possible for a wounded vet in GA to pass with the same score as someone else failed with.

good question, I would hope that all the states accept the passing score recommendation.

I think since the States issue the license there has to be some type of "action" by their boards approving the scores, probably an old school formality.

But some states give veteran preference points, so you could technically fail the exam based on NCEES but pass in your state if they give said points, so technically someone could make a (lets call it) 68 and pass in one state but fail in another, & not be eligible for comity in other states..

States issue the PE license ; NCEES writes and administers the exam for it . I still can't figure out though why it is so difficult to get PE in another state if you already have one . I am guessing this is politics; states need you to pay for the application fee to get a PE and another fee + CEU to maintain and renew PE license. You have to send your references a new state issued letter head and have them resign it . All this adds up to more revenues to the state board . States take their time to issue the PE license even though NCEES has already released exam results . I am guessing this will become more stringent and we will already see more regulations from government heavy states like CA . Passing the NCEES exam may not be a guarantee you will get your license .

States issue the PE license ; NCEES writes and administers the exam for it . I still can't figure out though why it is so difficult to get PE in another state if you already have one . I am guessing this is politics; states need you to pay for the application fee to get a PE and another fee + CEU to maintain and renew PE license. You have to send your references a new state issued letter head and have them resign it . All this adds up to more revenues to the state board . States take their time to issue the PE license even though NCEES has already released exam results . I am guessing this will become more stringent and we will already see more regulations from government heavy states like CA . Passing the NCEES exam may not be a guarantee you will get your license .
It makes at least as much sense as the recognition of concealed weapons permits from one state to another.  And probably for the same reason.

This. 100% this
I mean seriously!  Oregon, for example, does not recognize ANY other state CWP.  I have no idea what it's like to get your PE recognized there, but it's a good bet it's difficult.  And just try getting a CWP in NJ!  Ha!  It's all beaurocratic nonsense that has no basis in the sensical or logical realm.

I believe in GA any wounded veteran of war gets 5% added to their score so i believe it would be possible for a wounded vet in GA to pass with the same score as someone else failed with.
I had to read this twice before I thought you were being serious. Wounded vets get a boost? That's incredible.

Ohio will not issue comity for those that take the test early and wait for experience. 2 guys sitting near me were there for that exact reason.

I had to read this twice before I thought you were being serious. Wounded vets get a boost? That's incredible.
http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/licensing/plb/22/faq

Does Georgia allow Veteran's Preference Points to be added to exam scores?
Georgia law currently provides for reference points to be given when specific criteria are met. In general, the law [General Provisions Volume 30, Title 43-1-9.(1)(2)(3)] provides that veterans meeting certain conditions are eligible for the addition of five or ten percentage points to their examination scores. The veteran must have served for a minimum of one year in active duty status, and must have served during a period of conflict or war for a minimum of 90 days. If you wish to apply for veterans preference points, you may bring a copy of your DD-214 form to the examination site and turn it in to the examination proctor. Following is specific applicable information:

Q. How does an exam candidate qualify for the addition of veteran’s preference points to be added to their exam score?

A. Persons who have served in the U. S. Armed Forces for at least one year, 90 days of which troops were committed by the President of the United States to war or a conflict, may apply for approval of veteran’s preference points.

Q. How many points are given for approved military service?

A. Five (5) points for qualifying times. Ten (10) points (total) may be approved for veterans who have at least a 10 percent disability, which is military connected. The disability must be verified by the Veterans Administration at a time close to administration of the examination for which approval of the points are requested.

Q. Are these points transferable to other states?

A. No. If your actual grade was 65, and five (5) veteran's preference points were added which gave you a passing score of 70 in Georgia, most states will determine your score to be 65, which is a failing score.

Q. May Georgia accept a score of 65 from another state, then apply the approved veteran's preference points, which would give me a passing score?

A. No, the points are applied only to examinations given in Georgia, and to applicants approved by the Georgia Board.

Q. How do I apply for veteran's preference points?

A. If you are applying for the examination in Georgia, you will be sent a form during the review process. You must complete this form and return to the board office along with a copy of your DD214 prior to release of the exam scores.

Q. How do you determine who is eligible for these points?

A. Our office works in cooperation with the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine eligibility.

Q. If I was approved for veteran's preference points for the FE/EIT and/or FLS/LSIT exam, do I need to reapply when I file my PE and/or LS application?

A. No, it is not necessary to reapply for approval since we will locate your previous file to prevent duplication.

http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/licensing/plb/22/faq

Does Georgia allow Veteran's Preference Points to be added to exam scores?
Georgia law currently provides for reference points to be given when specific criteria are met. In general, the law [General Provisions Volume 30, Title 43-1-9.(1)(2)(3)] provides that veterans meeting certain conditions are eligible for the addition of five or ten percentage points to their examination scores. The veteran must have served for a minimum of one year in active duty status, and must have served during a period of conflict or war for a minimum of 90 days. If you wish to apply for veterans preference points, you may bring a copy of your DD-214 form to the examination site and turn it in to the examination proctor. Following is specific applicable information:

Q. How does an exam candidate qualify for the addition of veteran’s preference points to be added to their exam score?

A. Persons who have served in the U. S. Armed Forces for at least one year, 90 days of which troops were committed by the President of the United States to war or a conflict, may apply for approval of veteran’s preference points.

A. Five (5) points for qualifying times. Ten (10) points (total) may be approved for veterans who have at least a 10 percent disability, which is military connected. The disability must be verified by the Veterans Administration at a time close to administration of the examination for which approval of the points are requested.

Q. Are these points transferable to other states?

A. No. If your actual grade was 65, and five (5) veteran's preference points were added which gave you a passing score of 70 in Georgia, most states will determine your score to be 65, which is a failing score.

Q. May Georgia accept a score of 65 from another state, then apply the approved veteran's preference points, which would give me a passing score?

A. No, the points are applied only to examinations given in Georgia, and to applicants approved by the Georgia Board.

Q. How do I apply for veteran's preference points?

A. If you are applying for the examination in Georgia, you will be sent a form during the review process. You must complete this form and return to the board office along with a copy of your DD214 prior to release of the exam scores.

Q. How do you determine who is eligible for these points?

A. Our office works in cooperation with the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine eligibility.

Q. If I was approved for veteran's preference points for the FE/EIT and/or FLS/LSIT exam, do I need to reapply when I file my PE and/or LS application?

A. No, it is not necessary to reapply for approval since we will locate your previous file to prevent duplication.
For the life of me, I can not understand why they would do this.

I'm all for benefits to the vets, but this one is too far. When public safety is at risk with a PE's stamp of approval, do we want an incompetent engineer designing it?

As a veteran myself, I appreciate getting a free meal on Veteran's Day and the occasional discount when I purchase something.  I don't understand this one, though.  Most veterans with 10+ percent disabilities these days have PTSD as a result of their experience, which can make it difficult to handle stressful situations, like taking the P.E. exam.  I would be fine with providing a disabled veteran additional time to take the exam or maybe providing them free access to study material or subsidizing a review course, but adding 10 percent to their final score is unethical and dangerous on many levels.

Ohio will not issue comity for those that take the test early and wait for experience. 2 guys sitting near me were there for that exact reason.
Are you sure about this? This has been discussed on other threads, but this is the first time I've seen someone toss out what state might deny you in this situation. Feels like I just saw Godzilla in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd heard it before, but I was looking on NCEES state specific area and it has in there that they won't do it. Two guys that I sat by were in Ohio retaking the exam even though they were licensed in Colorado and Georgia. Which is why I repeat, rather frequently, that they need to standardize the rules between states. I just read that NC is voting to decouple the rules there in order to take the test prior to 4 years experience. The states need to find a way to work together for those that require multistate licenses.

c28a140c1adcf877a3c8ece1b55f6eb9.jpg

Unless I am reading the screen incorrectly, I see that you need to retake the exam.

I'd heard it before, but I was looking on NCEES state specific area and it has in there that they won't do it. Two guys that I sat by were in Ohio retaking the exam even though they were licensed in Colorado and Georgia. Which is why I repeat, rather frequently, that they need to standardize the rules between states. I just read that NC is voting to decouple the rules there in order to take the test prior to 4 years experience. The states need to find a way to work together for those that require multistate licenses.

Unless I am reading the screen incorrectly, I see that you need to retake the exam.
It would be really nice if NCEES would compile the answers from these surveys into one page.  I just went through every state (I'm pretty sure) and Ohio was the only one that i found to answer "yes" to the "if comity applicant took the PE early would you make them retake..." question. 

Back