More than 4 References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abell8418

Reaction score
This is for California PE application.

If this his been addressed elsewhere, please help me out.

I have 4 jobs of varying responsibility, so I have 4 engagements.

The same supervisor existed at 2 of the engagements, so he will be my reference twice. I have 3 different people (supervisors) covering my time.

I have a consulting engineer that I worked closely with at my current engagement that I would like to include as well. Am i correct that both reference forms for this time period would have the same engagement number (i.e. 1). For example, this current engagement has is 16 months long so far, but my time with this consulting engineer is 13 months. Do i have two engagement forms, one 16 months, one 13 months overlapping?

Thank you in advance

You should double check w/ your State Board evaluator but this is my understanding:

Simply put, you have to have at least four different references and you have to have at least 72 months of experience (substitute 48 months of BS for 48 months of experience as most do, and you need at least 24 months of experience). Also, do not overlap engagement time periods.

You will need a 4th reference. But I would advise against using the same time period for two different references. Can you break the 16 months into two separate engagements? Also, if you did not work directly under the consulting engineer, he/she will count as a reference but the time will not count as experience. So make sure you have 24 months of experience directly under the supervision of your other 3 references.

Does that help?

You should double check w/ your State Board evaluator but this is my understanding:

Simply put, you have to have at least four different references and you have to have at least 72 months of experience (substitute 48 months of BS for 48 months of experience as most do, and you need at least 24 months of experience). Also, do not overlap engagement time periods.

You will need a 4th reference. But I would advise against using the same time period for two different references. Can you break the 16 months into two separate engagements? Also, if you did not work directly under the consulting engineer, he/she will count as a reference but the time will not count as experience. So make sure you have 24 months of experience directly under the supervision of your other 3 references.

Does that help?

That is helpful.

One more question on something I stated. Is it acceptable to use the same individual for two of the reference engagements. This civil was my boss at two separate time periods at two separate companies. So what if I simply had 4 references using 3 engineers?

Does that help?
That is helpful.

One more question on something I stated. Is it acceptable to use the same individual for two of the reference engagements. This civil was my boss at two separate time periods at two separate companies. So what if I simply had 4 references using 3 engineers?
I think you can do that but it will only give you credit for experience, you'll only have 3 references and still need a 4th. As I wrote: "Simply put, you have to have at least four different references and you have to have at least 72 months of experience...."

You can have 1 person give 2 references, but as ptatohed stated, you need at least 4 different people to vouch for you. So in your case it looks like you would end up with 5 references total, with 4 people. Always best to call BPELS and confirm though.

Back