Louisiana Results In

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there pipeline, you'll get it...I've lived in LA most of my life but I'm waiting on MS to get their act together.

I work in pipelines. Nothing I do was in construction. I did well in the morning. (31/40). Wondering if I should switch to water resources if they deal with pressure and flows? Any suggestions.

Pipeline, water resources does have some pressure and flows, but not a ton. Maybe 3-5 depth questions. A good bit of open channel plus all that environmental stuff like water / wastewater treatment, water chemistry, wells, etc.

louisianapipeline,

If you're consideraring the Water Resources Depth, I strongly suggest EET Water Resources by Dr, Nazrul. Excellent teacher that gives you so much homework and Tests that you solve some depth problems without opening book. You can take depth alone which costs 500 if you take both wihich not bad idea, costs you under 1000 if you do early and you pay via Paypal which offers 6 month interest free plan. There were 4 question that were word to word similiar in exm from their booklet. FYI . I used to live in LA ( have my Masters from Mcneese) for 16 yrs before moved to houston 7 yrs ago.

Thanks

Prasanna

Prasanna, thank you.

Does anyone know if it's easy to switch depths for the next go around? Seems construction resources are few and far between.

I'm determined to get it this next time.

Mister Pipelines, commiserations on the recent result. I remember the civil folks bringing in what looked like cases and cases of books into the exam. Some even brought them on one of those red trailers from The Sandlot.

No doubt you'll be prepared next time. Keep at it!

Pipe...as others have said, there is a decent portion of the WR depth that is environmental so you'll want to take that into consideration. I would suggest as some have that you sign up for an online review course. I took the School of PE and I thought it was extremely helpful (esp for the AM).

What was your raw score? What kind of prep did you do for this round? Those two things are important in determining whether you should go a different route or just reinforce what you have done already.

Blg,

Thanks for answering. I got a 50/80

I did testmasters online civil review. I felt every teacher was great except the construction guy. He flew through and did not explain or use units.

I studied a total of 100 hours, give or take 5. This included the review courses online, problems online, tabbing my books, and doing about 50 problems from the NCEES book.

I do some permitting with my pipeline job. Especially in the marsh area. I work with DEQ and DNR time to time.

I do not deal with concrete, temporary structures, or equipment efficiencies. It took a bit to get into the mindset. I'm a bit familiar with OSHA from a previous job.

I'm 28, 4.5yrs out of school if you're wondering my experience level.

Thank you for any help. Would be huge.

Louisianapipeline

I responded / messaged you in private in detail just now. Please check.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Louisiana I also am a pipeline engineer that studied civil engineering. I took transportation and passed. Cost some cash for the right reference books but found it much more straightforward then construction. I also did study about 250 hours and took a 5 all day Saturday course for the morning. Let me know if you want more details on my method.

Martinez that would be great. Maybe since I didn't put too much into construction and did well in the morning I should try WRE. Although I got 7/7 Geometrics (transportation). Any additional info would be great. I also prefer calcs over references. I'm already about $2500 in with the previous test masters and books :(

I agree with you on Construction. Many people don't realize how tough it truly is because it is such a broad topic. Plus there are very few resources. If you're going to try it again, I would suggest using learncivilengineering.com. Their construction afternoon depth manual and practice exam are invaluable, I used it a lot on the actual exam. I also took an online course from the Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers which went through all the morning topics and depth reviews. The depth review for construction was really good. Since it's online and they record the webinars, you can watch it anywhere, anytime. Between those 3 things, I felt so prepared, plus I had many sample problems that were close, if not exactly the same types of questions on the exam. Just a suggestion since you already have the book investment.

Thank you for the advice. I'm debating WRE or sticking with it. It's a tough call right now. I really don't use concrete, retaining walls, temp structures. I ended up with 21/40 on the depth. 29/40 on the morning.

It's a tough call. Also hard to swallow the $1600 spent on the testmasters online review - the construction part was terrible but the others were amazing.

Thank you for the advice. I'm debating WRE or sticking with it. It's a tough call right now. I really don't use concrete, retaining walls, temp structures. I ended up with 21/40 on the depth. 29/40 on the morning.

It's a tough call. Also hard to swallow the $1600 spent on the testmasters online review - the construction part was terrible but the others were amazing.
pipeline,

If I can offer some unsolicited advice, I suggest you consider how much time you have spent preparing for the construction PM portion before you switch to another depth topic. If, for example, you spent 100 hours studying for the construction PM you might only need an additional 50 hours to pass it the next time. If you switch topics, you may need 100 - 150 hours to be prepared. It might be better to stay with construction and build on what you have started. Unless you completely bombed the construction afternoon then it might not matter.

Either way, good luck in October. I'll be taking Water Resources in October.

Edit:

I would also recommend more practice problems. The All-In-One study guide has been updated and should be available next month. It might be worth looking into for the extra practice problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back