NSPE (ROI?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gab6894

Reaction score
Has anyone joined NSPE after getting the PE? It costs quite a few bucks ($220) annually to be enrolled here in Virginia. Do you folks think it's worth the $? Thanks in advance.

The local state chapter of NSPE (for me in WI is WSPE) was running a special for a 6-month free membership. I gave that a try because based on the info from their website, they were a good resource for PDHs (prof. dev. hours) or CEUs to be used for my license renewal. Other than that I couldn't really justify the annual high membership cost. There are probably some other good benefits but I just didn't have time to take advantage of them. They did enroll me in their monthly PE magazine subscription which was pretty interesting. Some good articles in there. Perhaps your work would be willing to kick in some for the annual cost? Could be difficult to justify though I suppose.

The monthly meetings are also a great place to network with other engineers in your area. You never know when you may need help looking for a job or can help out someone else looking for a job.

I've been involved with NSPE at the local level since 2007, serving on the chapter board and most recently as the chapter president.

For me a lot of it is driven by how active the local chapter is. Among professional societies, MSPE is the most active in our area. We organize the local Mathcounts competition, we raise funds to support three scholarships for local engineering students, run a golf outing as well as monthly membership meetings. We've done tours of local engineering-related facilities and we bring in local politicians to talk about engineering related issues each year. We've also taught an informal review class for the EE PE exam. At times we also work with local schools on STEM outreach, from FIRST Robotics to judging science fairs to giving presentations about engineering. We also tend to partner with the state licensing board, and in fact one of our local members was appointed to the state board by the governor.

As Mike pointed out, it's a good opportunity to network--there are a couple of members who recently got new jobs through these connections. It's also an opportunity to look for consulting work if you're in that business. And as KF pointed out, you get 15 hours of PDH webinars with your membership, which is a very low cost per PDH compared to many other sources.

As far as ROI, NSPE is about advocating for and advancing engineering as a profession--through political representation, stem outreach, and trying to advance the image of engineering in society. This is the main reason I'm a member, and I don't know how to calculate an ROI number for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think all PE should join them as NSPE is working on our interest, sort of our lobbyist

I used to be a member of the MN chapter and got involved teaching for their PE & FE review classes.

I'm no longer a member, but I still do teach for them and actually have helped their review material vendor (to remain nameless) get a bit better with their problems.

The networking part of this club is very good. You never know who you will actually meet.

Thanks guys for the comment. It does sound interesting from your points of view. I've never thought of checking out my local chapter (VA) and see if there are any active events. My perception of joining NSPE is only to get discounts for PDH courses (which is also quite pricey for me, without any sponsorship from the company). Perhaps I'll surf the website some more and explore further about the VSPE events. Can't wait to contribute my new PE to somewhere useful and interesting...

Thanks guys for the comment. It does sound interesting from your points of view. I've never thought of checking out my local chapter (VA) and see if there are any active events. My perception of joining NSPE is only to get discounts for PDH courses (which is also quite pricey for me, without any sponsorship from the company). Perhaps I'll surf the website some more and explore further about the VSPE events. Can't wait to contribute my new PE to somewhere useful and interesting...
Are you based in VA? I am too... :)

Colleagues-- I would do it (join and be a member) in a heart beat and NOT look back! Of course, I have been an NSPE and Texas PE member for many years. The ROI question is valid-- I believe that there are some intangible benefits---i.e., the lobbying effort, the awareness of various states effort as well as the "national" voice for the PE, as well as the voice of the professional licensed engineer. How do you put a price on that? I don't know-- and don't think that anyone else does either.

NSPE and the state societies watch the legislation carefully to be sure that if some jurisdiction is going to try and ram through some legislation to obviate the need to have a PE do a job, i.e., a city engineer, they seem to jump on it and fight hard.

I find the PE magazine a great read-- and we get 100 magazines at our firm every month-- I struggle mightily to get through all of them-- the PE magazine is an easy read and always has something that I find of value. Sadly, they took out the mathcounts problem several years ago, however, I did find fun in trying to solve a 7th grade math problem. Most of the time, easy, however, sometimes, it took some doing!

I have attended and participated in the TSPE state conference the last 2 years that we have been back in Texas. By far, this has been one of the best conferences that I attend. The material, by design, is NOT technical in nature, but adds to the skill set of the engineer. Material like social media usage, state legislation that effects PE's, communication skill development. OK, you say, not important to you. Well, don't pass so rapidly. I have had the good fortune to have conducted and participated in LOTS of training, however, have found that what TSPE puts on is as good, if not better than, what I have paid much more in other venues.

These groups need younger members. At the TSPE conference a couple of weeks ago in San Antonio, I am sure that the youngest member was 29, and the next youngest member was 66. These groups are trying a hundred different ways to find real relevance with new engineers today. If you have an idea, you should share with them, irrespective of where you are located.

The networking benefits are great-- in today's world, the membership dues, albeit about $350 is significant, however, I think well worth it. As I have stated before, one never knows what tomorrow will bring. Knowing folks, knowing that some society folks are working hard to protect the license that you have worked so hard to earn is well worth the fee.

Now, if the program is NOT GOING how you think it should, jump in and help. Trust me, all of these groups are seeking and wanting new blood with fresh, creative and innovative ideas. None of this is hard, if you are seeking some leadership opportunities, this is a great place to begin. It does make good resume fodder, you get to meet new folks that you would never have met and you do some things that you may not have done before.

Now, is my thinking old school? No, don't think so-- however, these groups are only as good as the members involved. Get involved and make a real difference. You will NOT regret the time that you spend-- trust me here.

Back