Book Recommendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucktown PE

Reaction score
I couldn't find a forum for books not related to engineering so I thought I'd start one. If there is one already I'll delete this one.

I read The Road this weekend. Truly one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. I can't get the images of it out of my head. Has anyone read this or any other Cormac McCarthy books? I think I'm going to read the Border Trilogy next.

No Country for Old Men was really good.

You have to wonder why Cormac hates quotation marks so much.

I've not read either but watched them both. Both good movies. Its been a while since I've read anything worth recommending. My wife got several 1990's era spy/military novels several months back that I've been going through. Its funny how everyone of them are intently focused on defeating the USSR. the ones printed around '93 sound confused like, they dont know who to hate.

All the Pretty Horses is one of my favorite books...John Grady is very compelling.

I am about to start reading The CIder House Rules. I haven't ever read any John Irving.

If you like dark, really dark humor, John Irving is da bomb. He also has a thing for bears.

The Hotel New Hampshire is my favorite (and arguably the darkest), but The World According to Garp is a close second.

Be advised i read Garp thirty years ago, and New hampshire over 25 years ago.

I've been a big fan of Harlan Coben books lately, real easy, fun, mindless reads.

I'm really into the apocalyptic stuff. I don't know why, but I've always found those books very interesting.

Usually I read non-fiction, I'm reading a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer right now. It's been sort of slow starting out.

I'm finally getting around to reading Atlas Shrugged. Steven King's latest Dark Tower novel is next in line.

I'm really into the apocalyptic stuff. I don't know why, but I've always found those books very interesting.
You might want to have a look at The Rift, Swan Song, One Second After, Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall, A Canticle for Liebowitz, The Roadbuidlers, and Battlefield Earth.

I liked Atlas Shrugged, but I thought Rand was a bit long winded in some of it. Although I'm not sure what she could have left out and driven the point home like she did.
A BIT long winded in SOME of it? She's horrible. I've started Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead numerous times, but given up in sheer frustration. It is like a grade schooler trying to meet a word limit.

" Atlanta is the capital of GA, the state in the south that has Atlanta as the capital, and is to GA, what Columbia is to SC, that is, the capital of the state."

I'm not a big L. Ron Hubbard fan but I liked Battlefield Earth. I never bothered to watch the movie. There is absolutely no way to put that book into a single movie without it being unintelligible goop. From what I remember of the reviews, that's pretty much what Travolta achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing about Battlefield Earth is that Elron put in a lot of jokes that sailed past me the first time. Like the Selachees, a race of sharks that were all lawyers.

I watched Battlefield Earth, and if you approached it as a comedy, it was pretty amusing. travolta was so far over the top that is was hilarious. of course, Terl was sort of an over the top character.

Flyer, if you enjoy Stephen King, you'll enjoy the Dark Tower. Was well worth the wait to have all of the books out before starting them. I read that entire series last year February / March. It was very hard to put down and the ending is a typical King ending.

Currently I'm reading Tom Clancy's Op Center series. I just started on #8 - Line of Control.

I wasn't a big fan of the Dark Tower or any of King's Gunslinger books, but I don't generally like fantasy. Blane the mono was pretty cool, though.

Hearts in Atlantis was probably the best book he ever put out.

I really liked the Dark Tower series. I think I read the first one in 1988 and have read most of them twice. My favorite of them is Wizard and Glass. The latest title is The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was just released last week.

Have to agree that Hearts in Atlantis was good. My personal favorite Steven King book is The Stand.

I like Dean Koontz. He writes a very believeable horror/sci-fi. Nothing over-the-top like aliens or zombies, but still scary.

So far I've read: Fear Nothing, False Memory, Funhouse, Icebound, and a few others. I have a few more, but they manged to get boxed up during one of my moves and haven't made their way back out to the bookshelf yet.

There was an article several years ago about Stephen King and Dean Koontz. IIRC, King will read Koontz to get spooked! I've read a couple of Koontz work's, but it's been several years. May have to get another one after I finish with the Clancy series.

Back