PE Application Meeting Minimum Experience Requirement

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbrenna

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to apply for the Mechanical PE exam in Fall of 2011 in CA which requires 2 years of experience post bachelors degree. I am concerned whether I will be given a full 2 years of experience as I began work for a large Aerospace company in June 30th 2009 and my filing date will be July 8th, 2011. I realize this is just barely 2 years of experience and I have the necessary Reviewers/ Recommendations, but will the board give me a full 24 months for this or will they reduce this to ~20 months?

Obviously I have taken some PTO and training here and there over the past 2 years. Would the board discount my time experience and down grade my 24months to something less? Has anyone been in a similar situation when they have applied? What was your results? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help

Only the board can tell you....

Normally, one would round months either to include the whole month regardless of where in the month you start, always to the beginning, or always to the end. in any of these 3 cases, the math says you have 2 years. PTO is your vacation, and is considered to be part of work - vacation, sick, holidays don't count as non-experience, generally. You don't have to discount that you didn't work Christmas, nor do you get to upgrade that week for that project where you put in 100 hours.

I'd say to just apply and see.

Hi,
I am about to apply for the Mechanical PE exam in Fall of 2011 in CA which requires 2 years of experience post bachelors degree. I am concerned whether I will be given a full 2 years of experience as I began work for a large Aerospace company in June 30th 2009 and my filing date will be July 8th, 2011. I realize this is just barely 2 years of experience and I have the necessary Reviewers/ Recommendations, but will the board give me a full 24 months for this or will they reduce this to ~20 months?

Obviously I have taken some PTO and training here and there over the past 2 years. Would the board discount my time experience and down grade my 24months to something less? Has anyone been in a similar situation when they have applied? What was your results? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help
Dude! Don't sweat it. They don't discount your vacation time! You are in the clear. I've been through this twice now in California, where I was concered... first when I was gonna take the Mechanical PE and just 6 months ago when I was submiting my application for the electrical PE. Don't worry abou it. You will be fine! Plus they do it by the month and round up. They don't go down to the day. If you are in the Aerospace industry... I don't think you need to have references theat are licensed as PEs right? I think CA conisders that an "exepmt" industry.

Typically the boards don't have issue with the length of experience (provided you have enough-and it seems as though you do in this case), but rather the type of experience. As long as you give enough detail about your work responsibilities and functions you should be ok.

Back