Online dating

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
OK...Here's one for a fun discussion. I've been signed up on an online dating service for the past couple of months, and honestly....it's almost more than I can deal with!

SO FAR what I've realized, most women MUST see themselves in a carnival mirror when they get up in the morning...."Athletic and Trim" does not really encompass an extra 50+ pounds!

saying you're 42 when you're 52 really will be found out at some point!

and All women are NOT "Laid back" as they all describe.

I really didnt' have a clue what this would be like, I thought I would throw a few pictures on the site, describe myself and what I like, the computer would match us up and we would meet to see if anything else would come from it. That's NOT AT ALL how it really works. I don't get "Matched" with many women I would be interested in to start with....and they even sent a DUDE in one email....really, where the HELL did that come from?

From what I gathered on the GUY side, most guys think they're funny, and they all lie about how tall they are, and how much money they make.

been married before the internet but if I was single I think it would be fun to try, a friend of mine used one of the sites after he got divoreced and he claimed to have a lot of success (rule of 3 people) with it here in Atlanta, and by success I mean one or two dates and then some ..... :bananadoggywow:

but probably he just went home and ... :jerkit:

been married before the internet but if I was single I think it would be fun to try, a friend of mine used one of the sites after he got divoreced and he claimed to have a lot of success (rule of 3 people) with it here in Atlanta, and by success I mean one or two dates and then some ..... :bananadoggywow:

but probably he just went home and ... :jerkit:
:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

Good luck on this adventure NCGuy. Just be smart. Do not go ballistic.

I've got some friends that have use (still do use) online dating sites. I guess they have gotten to the point where quantity seems to be more important then quality. I can't argue that they do seem to get a lot of :bananadoggywow:, but woof :doganim: .

Seems to me to have "success" with online dating you need to lower your standards considerably.

I used it 6 years ago, met my fiance 5 years ago, plan on getting married this summer. I used Match.com. There are some real crazy ladies out there too.

I have done online dating - I think it's a mixed bag. If anything, what it does is expose you to a larger universe of potential dates.

I would say my experience with online dating was good but I would caveat that experience by saying, I didn't expect much from it to begin with ... I didn't expect it to be better than/worse than going to a bar, going thru mutual acquaintences, etc. I think as long as you don't take as one tool in your arsenal for getting out to meet people - it's a fairly decent way to do that.

Having said all of that,

1. I think eHarmony is :poop: If you read the founders book, he has set the site up to meet your 'marrying' matched person within a few dates. I don't think most people are really looking for their next partner.

2. Most women really cannot articulate what they really want well when it comes to the level of 'independence' they are looking for within a relationship. I found that many said in their survey that's what they wanted but seeing and talking in person turned out to be a different experience.

3. Generally, most people really don't know what they want, especially if they are going through an online dating service. You have to realize the general public is not well educated nor articulate, so you cannot expect that the universe of potential dates is going to be narrowly trimmed to ones who meet your level of 'smarts' or communication-compatibility for that matter.

4. I think if you are looking to just get out, you SHOULD keep your criteria down. It's not hard to find go out with but a DATEABLE person is going to be harder. You won't know until you go out with them. A profile and a picture just doesn't go very far ... for better or worse.

5. If you are trying the online dating thing, I would prepare to be patient. Your pony isn't the only show in town. Women aren't simply going to drop everything they are doing just on the off-chance of going out with you. If you happen to find a date that can go out with you and has NO scheduling conflicts - be afraid, be very afraid!

6. Above all else, be honest with anyone you go out with - be honest about how you feel and your intentions. Practically all of your dates have met with the rejection of not getting called upon for the next date. It won't crush their fragile sensibilities. They will appreciate your honesty.

7. Have fun. That's what it is all about anyways. If you can't enjoy it - you might as well not do it.

That my :2cents: FWIW.

I've got some friends that have use (still do use) online dating sites. I guess they have gotten to the point where quantity seems to be more important then quality. I can't argue that they do seem to get a lot of :bananadoggywow:, but woof :doganim: .
Seems to me to have "success" with online dating you need to lower your standards considerably.
I would argue that there are varying degrees of what "success" could be measured against and that what you may call lowering your standards may be more aligned with not beling closed minded. :)

JR

I would argue that there are varying degrees of what "success" could be measured against and that what you may call lowering your standards may be more aligned with not beling closed minded. :)

JR
The people I know who have used dating sites measure success by the number of people they get to sleep with. In that regard they are very successful with online dating.

I've also met the many of the "acquaintances" made online. There is a reason they aren't heard from again after long. I'm not saying this is how all online dating is, I'm merely saying this is my only exposure to it, and yes my friends are pigs. There is a reason they are still single and resorting to online dating while the rest of their friends are getting married and starting families.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be honest with yourself.

My sister has been using the various dating sites for awhile and has come out of it with more male friends, than dates. They just aren't romantically compatible, but they have no problems hanging out to watch a game/drinking beer. We were the only girls in the neighborhood growing up so we have always had more male friends than female friends.

My cousin is getting married the day before valentines day to his eharmony girl.

My brother in law meet his wife through an online dating place, not sure which one.

^So it's kinda like riding a moped then? The only problem is that you saw the mopeds.
Yes, I've met several of the mopeds. It's gotten to the point where my friends don't seem to mind you knowing they ride the mopeds. Frankly, I'm a little concerned what this may lead them to next. :eek:hmy:

Well....I guess I've had varying degrees of succes, but Ive TRIED to be different than I was in my earlier days. Back then I really only wanted to take a woman home for the night, this time I'm REALLY trying to actually get to know someone to see if she could be my "BEST FRIEND".....and let me tell you, there are MANY MORE women out there that are needing to get laid than I would have ever guessed!!!

I think I've been on about 20 dates, and ALL of them still text me from time to time, and many of them are quite specific about what they need!! lol

I have NOT slept with any of them......yet, but whew....it's getting tougher and tougher.

it was so easy in my day, you just sat at the bar and licked your eyebrows...

^^Same here, except I would get a girl at the fraternity house a plastic solo cup and filled it with Busch Light and whammo.... :bananadoggywow:

OK....Y'all do know that your day was probably much later than my day??? lol

My old pick up line was to ask a girl if she drove, and that I needed a ride home. My buddies were AMAZED at how often that worked!! all the time! Even girls that I had never met before asking them that.

Back