WTB: Civil PE (Construction Depth codes/study materials)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trussme

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just registered to take the PE exam in April. I wanted to see if anyone who has already taken the exam would be willing to part ways with their codes. I need -

ASCE 37-14
ACI SP-4

I would be interested in CMWB and ACI MNL-15 if the price is right as well. I've heard these aren't as useful for the exam?

Thanks and please let me know!

Hello everyone,

I just registered to take the PE exam in April. I wanted to see if anyone who has already taken the exam would be willing to part ways with their codes. I need -

ASCE 37-14
ACI SP-4

I would be interested in CMWB and ACI MNL-15 if the price is right as well. I've heard these aren't as useful for the exam?

Thanks and please let me know!
I do not have these available but, based on my experience in October, ASCE 37-14 and CMWB were not useful/needed. I had 37-14 with me and did not have CMWB. There were probable 6-8 questions, maybe more, that came right out of ACI MNL-16. Personally, I would lean more towards getting the two ACI references.

HOWEVER, the questions and topics on the exam change from offering to offering so I wouldn't take this as law. I'd recommend getting everything from the NCEES list you can get your hands on. But, in my opinion, if you're going to skimp, I wouldn't do it on the ACI manuals...

Last edited:
Thank you for the input so in your opinion the 2 ACIs are the most important? And do you happen to have those or be willing to sell them if you do?

I do not have these available but, based on my experience in October, ASCE 37-14 and CMWB were not useful/needed. I had 37-14 with me and did not have CMWB. There were probable 6-8 questions, maybe more, that came right out of ACI MNL-16. Personally, I would lean more towards getting the two ACI references.

HOWEVER, the questions and topics on the exam change from offering to offering so I wouldn't take this as law. I'd recommend getting everything from the NCEES list you can get your hands on. But, in my opinion, if you're going to skimp, I wouldn't do it on the ACI manuals...
I'm so sorry I realized you just said you didn't have those materials. My bad lol

I'm so sorry I realized you just said you didn't have those materials. My bad lol
no problem - I mean I own them but I've lent them to a coworker who is also prepping for the April exam.

To me - yes, if I'm ranking between the 4 you listed, my ranking would be: ACI MNL 15, SP4, ASCE, CMWB. Of course, I believe the two ACI are significantly more expensive than the other two (my ASCE was free as we have it at work). MNL-15 is a collection of standards and when I took the exam I spent the most time in that reference. I would focus on familiarizing yourself with ACI 301-16, 305, 306, 347(see below) and 211. The first 3 were heavy on my exam. All of these are contained in MNL 15. But, since the book itself is listed, I would think everything in it is fair game (although some of these selected standards are a bit niche and I wouldn't expect a question on some of them). Also remember, this is a reference. You don't necessarily have to memorize or read it all like a book. I would certainly read through the sections I listed and get familiar with how the info is presented as well as where some of the sections are (ie, 301 Structural Concrete has info on reinforcement bending requirement, 305 Hot Weather tables, 306 Cold Weather etc.)

SP4's main focus is ACI 347R Shoring/Reshoring. It's included in the publication, you do not need to buy it separately even though NCEES lists them separately. But, there are also some good tables in there for formwork design/bracing calculations. If you're not taking a review course, I would recommend finding some good YouTube explanations on this topic. The topic itself really isn't difficult, once it all clicks in your head. However, this was not a topic I had ever seen or heard of prior to my preparation so it seemed like a daunting task at first. One big benefit to the purchase of SP4, is you get access to the Shoring/Reshoring spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has a couple different scenarios in it that you could play around with in spare time. But the most beneficial part, in my opinion, is you can print each scenario out with enough space in each to write out what is going on in the "Stage" and then write out the load combinations to match the spreadsheet numbers based on the load ratings. You may only see one question on this, but you might see 3. Who knows. I probably couldn't solve a problem right now if you threw it at me cold, and I likely will never see it in practice.

I decided I was not going to purchase the CMWB. I believe the info here falls in the Temporary Structures section of the NCEES breakdown (don't quote me there). There 7 questions on the exam, and 6 topics listed. I figured to expect 1 question on each topic and then a wild card. I had anything masonry marked as a "wing it/check CERM/screw it and guess".

Good luck! If you have any questions you can DM me. I'm no expert but I'll do my best to try and help.

Okay thank you for the in depth break down, I'm sure this is going to be very helpful for me come April. I think I'll pass on the masonry then if it's only a question. I'll probably need to get the rest or at least for sure the ACI publications. I will familiarize myself and tab those up.

Thank you!

Okay thank you for the in depth break down, I'm sure this is going to be very helpful for me come April. I think I'll pass on the masonry then if it's only a question. I'll probably need to get the rest or at least for sure the ACI publications. I will familiarize myself and tab those up.

Thank you!
You're welcome. One other tip I can offer, is focus more on the higher # questions per the NCEES breakdown. That's where you'll set yourself up for success. Also, know what topics you are strong in and make sure to get EVERY one of those questions correct. You should shoot for a 30+ in the morning session (I'd say 33-35) when the questions are "easier". Remember, everyone sitting in the AM is taking the same test, regardless of discipline. They cant get too in depth or crazy with their questions or it would be unfair. General consensus, though not guaranteed, is about a 70% to pass the exam. That's 56/80 correct. If you get 35 correct in the AM, you could essentially skip half of the afternoon provided the other half you got 100% correct. Plus, although I wouldn't recommend going in this mindset, you always have the chance to flat out guess if you really don't know. You might get lucky and steal a few points that way. There's bound to be a few "low hanging fruit" questions (ie, simple definitions, or look up in a table, minimal brain power, etc). Make sure you get all of those correct. They're basically free points.

And above all, don't stress yourself out. It's only an exam. If you fail, buckle up and try again. If you pass, woohoo good job. If you go in under a ton of pressure, it's already got you beat. Remember, you just need to pass it, you don't need to ace it. Regardless of the result, you're no better or worse of an engineer.

Thank you so much for the insight, that makes me feel a bit better about it. I feel like I'm starting to study relatively late but at least I'll be more focused in the coming weeks vs. burning out. I'm just not too familiar with the codes but that's probably gonna be where I need to spend the bulk of my time. And doing practice problems! If you have any problems please feel free to send my way! I bought the NCEES booklet with the practice problems on there and I've bought the PE practice problem book by Goswami. Hopefully that'll be enough!

And you're for sure correct. There are PE's that aren't the brightest and then there are some unlicensed guys that really know their stuff.

I have a weird question... my copy of the field reference manual doesn't have ACI 211, it has ACI 211 R5-14 which is the Guide for Submittal of Concrete Proportions, not the ACI 211.1 -91 the Standard Practice for Selecting Proportions for Normal, Heavyweight, and Mass Concrete. I have heard it said in the review classes as well; everyone suggests we have a copy of 211 in the exam with the Field Reference Manual... Did you bring your own copy of 211.1 outside of the reference manual? Just wondering how to go about this and if you have any guidance.
thanks,
BuilderGirl

I have a weird question... my copy of the field reference manual doesn't have ACI 211, it has ACI 211 R5-14 which is the Guide for Submittal of Concrete Proportions, not the ACI 211.1 -91 the Standard Practice for Selecting Proportions for Normal, Heavyweight, and Mass Concrete. I have heard it said in the review classes as well; everyone suggests we have a copy of 211 in the exam with the Field Reference Manual... Did you bring your own copy of 211.1 outside of the reference manual? Just wondering how to go about this and if you have any guidance.
thanks,
BuilderGirl
Correct. The 211 section included in MNL is not the 211.1-91. I did not bring my own copy of 211.1-91. I took the EET review course and felt that they covered the proportioning topics pretty thoroughly. I just did those problems over, and over, and over, and over, and over, oh you guessed it, I did them over again. The other side of this topic, is what all the different admixtures/pozzolans do to concrete. Again, I felt EET did a good job of covering these topics, along with my own personal experience (I deal with concrete almost daily, and my father is the VP of a concrete supplier). If you can get a copy of it, I don't think it will hurt you, but I don't necessarily think it'll be a deal breaker either. I basically decided I had enough references to get through the topic and the exam itself, and for a topic I might see just a couple of questions for, I was confident enough to go on memory. Again, the distribution of questions will vary from exam to exam, but my particular exam was heavy in 301, 305 & 306, an personally, I feel like those sections are a little more indicative of what a PE in Construction would need to be competent in. Understanding the proportioning of a mix, to me, is important, but I'll likely never have to do a true mix design. I will however, have to know the general ideas of structural concrete/reinforcement and the proper placement practices in Hot & Cold Weather.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you so much for the insight, that makes me feel a bit better about it. I feel like I'm starting to study relatively late but at least I'll be more focused in the coming weeks vs. burning out. I'm just not too familiar with the codes but that's probably gonna be where I need to spend the bulk of my time. And doing practice problems! If you have any problems please feel free to send my way! I bought the NCEES booklet with the practice problems on there and I've bought the PE practice problem book by Goswami. Hopefully that'll be enough!

And you're for sure correct. There are PE's that aren't the brightest and then there are some unlicensed guys that really know their stuff.
I missed this in my earlier reply - the NCEES practice exam book, in my opinion, is a great barometer of the types of material you'll see on the test. It's comprised of past test questions. Truthfully, I found them simple in comparison to what was on the exam itself, but overall it was a great sample of what to expect. At least it gets you familiar with the style and presentation of the exam questions. The only other problems I did were those provided by EET in their review course.

Also, just a heads up - make sure you read each questions COMPLETELY and CAREFULLY. Do not rush through the reading part. I recall a few questions where simply reading and understanding what was being asked eliminated a couple choices. And some, pretty much told you what the answer would be (if you understood the concepts).

They also like to throw in the "which answer is most nearly correct" caveat on a lot of problems. This can trip you up as it could have a major implication on the correct answer. For example, if they ask you to select a specific rigging component based on capacity for a given lift. Say you go through the calculation and determine a pick weight of 1,000 lbs. And two of the choices are a component with a capacity of 950 lbs or one with 1,200 lbs. Well...technically the 950 answer is most nearly correct, BUT you couldn't make the pick with it so it is incorrect. You would need the 1200 lb capacity component.

Back