Why People Don't Use Mass Transit

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude if i had access to mass transit I would use it.
I agree and without reading the article. Prior to having #3, I used to drive 30 minutes in the opposite direction (in rush hour traffic) to drop my kids off at my in-laws. I can only speak from experience of NJ traffic but it sux and NJ drivers suck. By the time I got to work, an hour-hour and a half after originally leaving, I was completely stressed. I always told myself that if I ever left my job for a new one, I would make sure that I could take mass trans. I don't want to drive anymore. I would be satisfied with commuting an hour on mass trans, in exchange for never having to dealing with the a-hole NJ drivers.

The article is about identifying why people don't use mass transit, not about abandoning it altogether. I guess the takeaway message is that population density and economic considerations have to make sense if we want people to actually use mass transit in America.

The biggest thing with mass transit in my opinion is the region's taxpayers have to be willing to subsidize it because not a single transit system on the planet break even let alone makes money.

Transit is always going to be something that 75% of the people pay into and never used and truly only benefits about 25% of the people

And I will admit I take the bus two days a week only because we don't have real parking at my city office. My only complaint is that it takes me an extra 30 minutes each way to get to work in the morning route that I use is also a rail that a lot of middle school are used to get to school for half of my bus ride is like being on a bus full of idiotic dumbass middle school kids if you can imagine that

And thirdly I get to ride the bus for free because the company that I work for which is actually a county government, pays for something called an eco-pass so basically all the taxpayers in my county are pay for me to ride this bus occasionally

The article is about identifying why people don't use mass transit, not about abandoning it altogether.

Correct.

I guess the takeaway message is that population density and economic considerations have to make sense if we want people to actually use mass transit in America.

Correct.

And thirdly I get to ride the bus for free because the company that I work for which is actually a county government, pays for something called an eco-pass so basically all the taxpayers in my county are pay for me to ride this bus occasionally
this explains why you were able to provide us the photo of the up-standing citizen "resting" on the bus bench.

I utilized it when I lived in Syracuse. At my last location, it wasn't really available so I carpooled. I have looked into both options here. Let's just say, for me to use mass transit, I would have to drive 15 min, park my car, then proceed with a 4 hour and 14 minute trip that includes 4 transfers as well as 2 miles walking.

When I travel to DC, I'll take the train, but as far as a daily commuting it just doesn't seem to work.

I looked into riding the bus a while back. Turns out it would save me something like a buck fifty a day for fare vs gas.

But, I'd have to ride three miles to the bus stop (the bus that stops a few blocks from the house doesn't get there until an hour after I start work), the bus commute would take an hour to an hour and a half, then I'd have to ride three more miles on a suicide road to get to the office.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only "successful" transit systems are the ones that provide some level of convenience. Routes have to make sense, vehicle size and frequency have to coordinate with riders' needs, and the system has to be maintained.

The only people who ride the busses in my area are those who cannot afford a vehicle because like others said it would take hours to get where you are going. Everything is so spread out here it takes 20-30min if you are driving a direct route, try to do it on a bus and you're looking at much longer times. I know guy at work had his kid ride county bus from his highschool to our office when his car was broken. Its about a 20 min drive by car at that time of day, and about 2 hours for the bus.

The wife's hospital has a good pick up spot and if I get the 7:06 am bus I can be at work right at 8:00. With about a half mile walk (which I need).

They gave her two employee decals so I put one on my car and park in the employee lot and try and not make it too obvious that I am heading straight to the bus stop. So my total trip is about an hour 15 minutes from when I leave my house...but that is the closest pick up point from my house..

The way home I catch a 4:30 bus . Which means I leave work at 4:20(dude) but I don't make it to my house till almost 6:00. Whereas when I leave work at 4:30 in my car I am home a little after 5:00...

Which isn't too terrible...but I only do it two days a week cause we have no Employee parking since we're all supposed to bike to work or some bullshit....but it does make it nice not having to okay the parking space game...

But if my work had parking spaces I would drive my car...

I utilized it when I lived in Syracuse. At my last location, it wasn't really available so I carpooled. I have looked into both options here. Let's just say, for me to use mass transit, I would have to drive 15 min, park my car, then proceed with a 4 hour and 14 minute trip that includes 4 transfers as well as 2 miles walking.

When I travel to DC, I'll take the train, but as far as a daily commuting it just doesn't seem to work.
Yep you are in Richmond, worst bus line system of the known universe and in a close second in the unknown universe category.

I took the bus in Richmond, once. When the incorrectly marked bus dropped me at the end of its line in the area of the US which had experienced the 5th highest number of homicides the previous year with a transfer and instructions from the driver to stay out of sight till the next bus arrived, I figured it just wasn't worth it to use the free bus tickets that my state DOT job gave out.

Transit schedules around here heavily favor the 9-5 work hours of all the bankers in the area. That being said, my usual stroll out of here at 8PM doesn't lend itself well to the use of mass transit.

Yep you are in Richmond, worst bus line system of the known universe and in a close second in the unknown universe category.

I took the bus in Richmond, once. When the incorrectly marked bus dropped me at the end of its line in the area of the US which had experienced the 5th highest number of homicides the previous year with a transfer and instructions from the driver to stay out of sight till the next bus arrived, I figured it just wasn't worth it to use the free bus tickets that my state DOT job gave out.
I also failed to mention that it would have involved the amtrack train... at $11 for a one way ticket. Even with a military discount on that, I would still be paying nearly $20 for train + $ for bus + $ for gas so it's not even cheaper than what I pay a week for gas. (right now I'm getting about a week and a day on $50 of gas), and yeah, I would be parking my car in a not so nice neighborhood, and traveling through additional not so nice neighborhoods.

First time I used the bus here I ws wanting to go north to Boulder,but was on thenwrongnside of the street, some caught the same bus that goes to denver,I knew it made a loop but I endd up going to denver and then catching another bus to go back to boulder. Got to work at 9:30.. Work was thrilled thatnin ws using transit and said they didn't care about the lost time....

Now I know why all those crazy route numbers stand for, anything with an X goes to denver (I think) do not pass to, do not collect $200'dollars

Back