Why does it take 4-6 weeks after passing the PE to recieve a license in some states?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that is surprising.  All companies, no matter how magnanimous are a business.  The billable rates are almost always a direct correlation of your take-home pay times some multiplier.  One raises, the other raises as a result.  They won't just raise your pay but eat the cost internally, just doesn't make business sense.  
Not necessarily, there are a lot of different overhead costs and sometimes fluff added to the billable rate from one company to the next and a lot of firms tend to have standard billable rates that are adjusted periodically based on the market. So while there is some correlation between the billable rate and position/salary of the employee, very few firms from my experience use a direct multiplier of the employee's salary.

Now I would definitely agree that companies are going to find ways to account for any raises given to employees. I once received a 16.5% raise during an annual review for a previous firm I worked and it was sold to me that I was really valued and it was the biggest raise that anyone in the company had ever received. However, I was hired with salary a lot lower than I was worth and within the two years I worked for the firm prior to getting this significant raise I became solely responsible for the work for one of our services that previously 1 project manager, 1 technician and 2 separate consultants were contributing. 

What you said is all true, but also is basically what I was saying.  While not all companies are like this, I suspect most are.  They do slot people into standard billable rates that are a function of some approximate multiplier that accounts for overhead and profit.  IE, most companies have figured out they need to bill out their employees at "X" times their base salary to cover O&P (which will be dependent on the individual companies overhead costs and other factors). So fictitious example but say a company has an ENG I, 2, 3, 4, 5 bill rates that bill out at 100, 120, 140, 160, 180$/hr.  While your take home might be based on your value, they usually slot you into an approximately role (ENG 1-5, etc) that allows them to maintain their OH+profit margin they are seeking.  IE if the company has decided they need to bill out engineers at least 3.5x their take home pay and you make $40/hr, then they will slot you in at a minimum of an ENG 3, 40x3.5=140. They may slot you in at a higher rate, but they likely won't slot you in at the lower bill rate, otherwise they aren't covering their OH costs or making a profit on you.

came here to ask the same thing. its getting pretty frustrating at this point. im beginning to think theyre going to just not give it to me.

Back