Who To Call To Run Cable?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
One of the downsides of our new/old house is that it is just old enough that it doesn't have cable outlets. The original owners ran one to the family room (where our big TV is), there's one in the living room (for the computer/internet), and there's one in the boy's bedroom upstairs although they don't have a TV. We'd like to run cable to our bedroom, but since it's not so convenient for me to do it at the moment, I'm wondering who you can call to get this done? I'm sure I could call the cable company and pay an arm and a leg so who do I look for in the yellow pages? I'm not sure how they got the cable to the room upstairs originally...maybe through the attic...but it should just be a matter of running it from the other upstairs room, through the attic, and down into our room.

Any electrician should be able to run the wire.

Also call a home A/V companyu and see if they have a tech that would do this small job.

If you change cable providers, or go to dish, or from dish to cable, etc you may be able to negotiate some free wiring..

Having tried to run a wire from the attic before, its a PITA so IMO its worth a hundred bucks or so to have someone do it that familiar with it..

I can't remember, are you on a deployment over there, or are you there a civilian? The reason I ask is that around here, lots of the craftsmen I work with volunteer their time to help with "handyman" type jobs at houses where a family's father/husband is deployed. You may want to check locally to see if a similar program exists where you live. I know the electricians I work with that do this are more than happy to volunteer their time and skills to help out a military family.

Don't look at me... lol

But my cable company (Time Warner) came out at 7pm on a Friday to troubleshoot a flaky Internet connection. It ended up being house wiring. They rewired 2 rooms in my house (running through the attic & down the walls) and redid the splitter scheme. No charge. I thought that was pretty cool. You might just call and ask them.

I can't remember, are you on a deployment over there, or are you there a civilian? The reason I ask is that around here, lots of the craftsmen I work with volunteer their time to help with "handyman" type jobs at houses where a family's father/husband is deployed. You may want to check locally to see if a similar program exists where you live. I know the electricians I work with that do this are more than happy to volunteer their time and skills to help out a military family.
I am a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers employee deployed as a DOD Civilian. Not sure if that counts, but I'll check into that.

Don't look at me... lol
But my cable company (Time Warner) came out at 7pm on a Friday to troubleshoot a flaky Internet connection. It ended up being house wiring. They rewired 2 rooms in my house (running through the attic & down the walls) and redid the splitter scheme. No charge. I thought that was pretty cool. You might just call and ask them.
We have TW as well. I know a guy that works at one of their depots where the cable guys are dispatched. At our old house he hooked me up with a giant spool of coaxial that I ran. I know the cable guy came out and put all the connectors on and it didn't cost anything. Definitely be worth checking that out though, especially since it's just the one room.

Maybe I can combine the two and call TW and tell them I'm deployed and see what they say. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest to contact the cable company. I had a room re-wired and two wired up for cable a few months ago and the charge was really cheap, like $35 total. They want your business.

Back in the cable monopoly days when they didn't want anyone to have a splitter, they'd charge more than an arm and a leg.

Back