who failed??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the PhD quals when I was in grad school and can say, at least at my school, that they were very broad within my disclipine.

However, I wouldn't want to rely on the quals as a proxy for the PE exam, because they are not standardized across the country like the NCEES exams are. So how could you say for sure each school's quals met the standard for "minimally competent"? You'd pretty much be relying on the faculty of each college to determine "minimally competent," rather than whatever process NCEES uses--which I imagine is a bit more rigorous (though I could be wrong).

Here's my take on the PhD angle...

There is NOTHING on the PE Exam that can't be learned in ten minutes (give or take a bit) by most people who've graduated from ABET-accredited institutions with a BS. The problem being that while the test may only have 50 SOMETHINGS, the breadth of the topics might include 500 SOMETHINGS.

I'd feel pretty confident that a PhD has demonstrated the ability to learn SOMETHING. Probably even 50 SOMETHINGS and even 500 SOMETHINGS.

I'd suggest there are plenty of ABET-accredited graduates with a BS that aren't able to learn 50 SOMETHINGS and certainly not 500 SOMETHINGS. These are the guys that got through college through the help of friends, subversion, luck, and social skills. The PE exam culls them out.

I don't think there are many PhDs like that...

And, again, the exam is just one part of three criteria needed to be a licensed engineer.

I too would feel somewhat comfortable that a PhD has demonstrated the ability to learn something ENGINEERING given that their BS was in ENGINEERING. However, there are PhD's with exam-waived PE's out there that have BS's and MS's not really related to engineering. One professor I know of has his BS in Agriculture. He received his PE without taking the exam. I guess one can argue that Agriculture is somehow related to Civil Engineering, but others would argue differently...

I actually would not recommend to take bag full of books. Take 4-5 at the most.
That may work for water resources... but let me tell you, for structural, you need as many as you can carry! A friend of mine took a suitcase full of books... but left out the IBC and one or two other "recommendeds"... missed an easy definition question based on the IBC and failed the exam by one question.

A little less discomfort on exam day is not worth that!

I took a coffee in the morning and a nice buffet during lunch. It clicked for me, the first time. Best way is to keep your cool and go there with intention that if you wont pass then also you will learn something new. I actually would not recommend to take bag full of books. Take 4-5 at the most.
Definitely untrue for Transportation Depth. I would use a word of caution while using such generalized statements.. HCM, MUTCD, Green Book, Roadside Design Guide, CERM, 6 minute solutions, notes, etc.. I don't think that any person sitting for Transp. would want to give without these books and some others.. Just my thought.

Failed my second try (EE Power). ****! Time to start studying.

Keg....can you post your diagnostics letter for power depth module.....if you don't mind....I took the power depth module in power to in CA...still one month before we se our results...just want to see how the percentage works in different topics....thanks

Keg....can you post your diagnostics letter for power depth module.....if you don't mind....I took the power depth module in power to in CA...still one month before we se our results...just want to see how the percentage works in different topics....thanks

Professionalism & Engr. Econ 100

Safety & Reliability 67

Electric Circuits 40

Electric & Magnetic Field Theory & Apps 0

Computer Systems & Engr 50

Electronics, Circuits & Components - Components 67

Electronics, Circuits & Components - Materials 50

Controls & Communication Systems 67

Power - Transmission & Distribution 40

Power - Rotating Machines 67

General Power - Measure, Inst., & Statistics 50

General Power - Special Applications 100

General Power - Codes 67

Circuit Analysis - Analysis 17

Circuit Analysis - Devices & Power Electronic Circuits 33

Circuit Analysis - Electric & Magnetic Fields and Applications 50

Rotating Machines 43

Electromagnetic Devices 50

Transmission & Distribution - System Analysis 17

Transmission & Distribution - Power System Performance 50

Transmission & Distribution - Protection 25

My scores w/ the percentage beside them. I have not figured the number of questions per subject mainly b/c I'm still too P.O.'d about failing to bother. I thought I did better than my first try but honestly looking at the scores, I think I did worse. Good Luck

That may work for water resources... but let me tell you, for structural, you need as many as you can carry! A friend of mine took a suitcase full of books... but left out the IBC and one or two other "recommendeds"... missed an easy definition question based on the IBC and failed the exam by one question.
A little less discomfort on exam day is not worth that!
I agree.... I took the S1 and brought 2 suitcases full. I used all but 2 books at one point or another and thankfully passed the exam. I'm not sure how you could function on the exam without the reference books.....

Back