When You Should Add PE After Your Name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Yes I am working on getting a NCEES record right now, pretty complicated process. 
It is, but once you have one, getting licensed in other states is so much easier. My initial license was in NC but got my SC license recently and only had to fill out a few portions of the application and send in a $75 fee, along with having NCEES release my record to SC board.

Michigan already? Wow, they had a reputation for years for taking quite a while to finally issue the licenses.

I'm in New York as well as my coworkers. On the website it says 4-6 weeks for an application review. Bummer. I remember when I passed the FE it took them about the same amount of time to issue me the intern engineer certificate.

One of my other coworkers passed and is already using the title. Tisk, tisk, tisk.

Can you put "PE-candidate" if you passed the PE but still waiting for the license from the State?  

I'm in New York as well as my coworkers. On the website it says 4-6 weeks for an application review. Bummer. I remember when I passed the FE it took them about the same amount of time to issue me the intern engineer certificate.
You're in for a long wait. @JayKay0914

Can you put "PE-candidate" if you passed the PE but still waiting for the license from the State?  
I wouldn't do that.

It's better to just wait the few weeks until it's official.

One of my other coworkers passed and is already using the title. Tisk, tisk, tisk.
@RBHeadge PE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Is this a PE application?  You are for sure to have longer than a 4-6 week review period, based on my recent dealings with them.  That department is a little bit of a **** show right now with reviewing since they have the PG applications and now rolling applications for both new applications and cross-state applications(meaning they don't have two busy periods, the whole time is a busy period).

As for using the title...I work in consulting (aka; a ton of lawyers), so I told people I passed, but I didn't add PE to the end of my name/title until I had the official number from the op search. False advertising my accreditation and licensure could hurt me and my company, depending on proposals and bid packages.  It's better to wait and not get in trouble legally.  I'd maybe mention that to your co-workers that they're not legally a PE until they have a license number.

@RBHeadge PE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Is this a PE application?  You are for sure to have longer than a 4-6 week review period, based on my recent dealings with them.  That department is a little bit of a **** show right now with reviewing since they have the PG applications and now rolling applications for both new applications and cross-state applications(meaning they don't have two busy periods, the whole time is a busy period).

As for using the title...I work in consulting (aka; a ton of lawyers), so I told people I passed, but I didn't add PE to the end of my name/title until I had the official number from the op search. False advertising my accreditation and licensure could hurt me and my company, depending on proposals and bid packages.  It's better to wait and not get in trouble legally.  I'd maybe mention that to your co-workers that they're not legally a PE until they have a license number.
OMG no. It will probably be December before I get issued a license. If I don't hear anything by late July, I will inquire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. At best, “PE-candidate,” is only possibly (borderline) legal, so I wouldn’t risk it. Further, it doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

Disclaimer: I don’t currently use P.E. after my name in most general correspondence. Official documents, yes, but in general I don’t list it on my e-mail.

I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. PE-candidate, while possibly (borderline) legal, doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

Disclaimer: I don’t currently use P.E. after my name in most general correspondence. Official documents, yes, but in general I don’t list it on my e-mail.
Yup. Also there is no benefit of writing PE-candidate. If you want to write something in a resume, you can mention you passed the exam and awaiting license.

Got an email that my application was approved and I now show up in the system an an active licensed Professional Engineer in Michigan.... Yahooo
Wow, really? When did you submit your materials? I sent mine in the evening scores were released and still haven't heard back...

I just took and passed the Power PE Exam this cycle (April 2019). Previously, I worked doing industrial design (P&C mostly); however, I recently graduated with my BSEE in May of 2018. So, I haven't even had a year of work experience that counts towards my years of experience. I know not to put PE after my name, but Is it ok to put something like this (see below) on your LinkedIn page. Where the website references your NCEES Result Verification?

image.png

I just took and passed the Power PE Exam this cycle (April 2019). Previously, I worked doing industrial design (P&C mostly); however, I recently graduated with my BSEE in May of 2018. So, I haven't even had a year of work experience that counts towards my years of experience. I know not to put PE after my name, but Is it ok to put something like this (see below) on your LinkedIn page. Where the website references your NCEES Result Verification?

View attachment 13216
I would say it’s okay. You wouldn’t be implying that you are a P.E. just by stating that you passed an exam that happens to be required in the track to earn the title.

Passing your exam is something to be proud of, and it looks good on your resume. Flaunt away!

I wouldn't do that.

It's better to just wait the few weeks until it's official.

Looks dumb and doesn't add anything to your name. Wait til you get a license #.
You're probably right.  But, I'm seeing more and more MBA-candidate, CPA-candidate, Phd-candidate, it's only a matter of time until there's a PE-candidate?

I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. At best, “PE-candidate,” is only possibly (borderline) legal, so I wouldn’t risk it. Further, it doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

I don't think just having a PE after your name on a document carries any authority.  It will, maybe, carry more weight, but probably not authority.  "PE" is a form of regulated advertisement.  Just like not any company can have some form of "engineering" in its name without being registered to protect the "health, safety and welfare" of the public.  Most, if not all, Boards require a seal and signature on an official document with professional opinions.  Now that will carry authority.  One may even get in trouble for placing PE after the name and not sealing a document with opinions that are considered "professional".

You're probably right.  But, I'm seeing more and more MBA-candidate, CPA-candidate, Phd-candidate, it's only a matter of time until there's a PE-candidate?
There already is a legal term title for PE-candidate: Engineer in Training (EIT).

I can at least understand the usage of PhD candidate under very limited circumstances. But I've never heard of MBA- or CPA-candidate, that just reeks of overcompensation.

Wow, really? When did you submit your materials? I sent mine in the evening scores were released and still haven't heard back...
I sent mine like 10 minutes after the results were released haha... I already had everything filled out and ready to hit send.  A co worker submitted his line 3 hours after me and still hasn't heard... I'm guessing I was the first application on their list.

I sent mine like 10 minutes after the results were released haha... I already had everything filled out and ready to hit send.  A co worker submitted his line 3 hours after me and still hasn't heard... I'm guessing I was the first application on their list.
Wow! Yes, that would make a big difference. You were on the ball. I had electronic copies of my transcripts ready to submit, but I didn't have the reference form ready to go because I didn't want to tell any of my co-workers I'd taken the test if I didn't pass (which given my lax approach to prep was a definite possibility). :) So I got it signed that afternoon and emailed it in.

There is a "Checklist" function on the Michigan site your co-worker can check out if he's curious. The link is on the first screen you get to after logging in. The "time sink" here must be going through all the transcript and reference emails, because I see those are the only two items on mine left, although they were submitted at the same time as everything else. (P.S. I submitted three separate transcripts so I apologize to everyone behind me in line! Glad you got in ahead.)

image.png

Wow! Yes, that would make a big difference. You were on the ball. I had electronic copies of my transcripts ready to submit, but I didn't have the reference form ready to go because I didn't want to tell any of my co-workers I'd taken the test if I didn't pass (which given my lax approach to prep was a definite possibility). 🙂 So I got it signed that afternoon and emailed it in.

There is a "Checklist" function on the Michigan site your co-worker can check out if he's curious. The link is on the first screen you get to after logging in. The "time sink" here must be going through all the transcript and reference emails, because I see those are the only two items on mine left, although they were submitted at the same time as everything else. (P.S. I submitted three separate transcripts so I apologize to everyone behind me in line! Glad you got in ahead.)

View attachment 13219
I never saw the checklist.  I went to check it and now it just shows I have an active license.

Back