When You Should Add PE After Your Name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just start using it - you passed the exam.  As long as you don't put a Seal with your name on an engineering document you won't be violating any of the Ethics (or in some cases State) rules/laws.  
This is terribly bad advice. Even having a business card, or using the PE after your name in an email can be construed as practicing Engineering without a license in many states if you do not have an active license.

Also, the exam is only one part of the qualifications. If you pass the exam, but do not have the mandated experience (this is possible in places like Texas), or references that your state requires, then you haven't met the requirements.

Just wait until your license number has been issued. Period.

Just start using it - you passed the exam.  As long as you don't put a Seal with your name on an engineering document you won't be violating any of the Ethics (or in some cases State) rules/laws.  
This is terribly bad advice. Even having a business card, or using the PE after your name in an email can be construed as practicing Engineering without a license in many states if you do not have an active license.
Absolutely bad advice. The last thing you want to do is start your career as an almost-licensed PE with a disciplinary action taken against you.

Here's some pertinent information regarding what constitutes unlicensed activity in Florida: "Using a name or title tending to indicate that a person holds an active license as engineer. Examples include: Professional Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Air-Conditioning Engineer, Architectural Engineer, Civil Engineer, etc."

Of course, the laws and rules governing professional engineers vary from state to state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely bad advice. The last thing you want to do is start your career as an almost-licensed PE with a disciplinary action taken against you.

Here's some pertinent information regarding what constitutes unlicensed activity in Florida: "Using a name or title tending to indicate that a person holds an active license as engineer. Examples include: Professional Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Air-Conditioning Engineer, Architectural Engineer, Civil Engineer, etc."
I disagree.

I passed the PE exam this last October, and my PE license application doesn't go up for review till next month. There is no way in hell I would risk saying I am a PE until I have my license number. 

I’d be curious to see a counter argument as well...

My take: I waited until after my license was shown in the WA state license search website to add P.E. after my name and to state that I was a P.E, even though the PE exam is always the final step in the current WA state licensing process. Maybe I’m overly cautious, but in my mind, it’s better to be safe than sorry. State licensing boards may vary in terms of how nit picky they are (Oregon, anyone?), but I spent way too much time pursuing my license to want to risk squandering it over a technicality.

Also I haven’t started using P.E. in my email correspondence yet. It’s a personal decision, but I don’t necessarily want everything I say to carry the authority of P.E. at this point...

You're disagreeing with the Florida Board of PE rep? Really? Seems like a bad decision 
I based my original suggestion based on the New York board.  In NY you are allowed to use the title even after your registration expires.  You are only restricted in 'Practicing', which means using your Stamp or providing professional advice to individuals or organizations that are not covered by the "corporate exclusion" (supported by all fifty States) for Professional engineers.

This is pretty clear in Florida statutes:

471.031 Prohibitions; penalties.

(1) A person may not:

(a) Practice engineering unless the person is licensed or exempt from licensure under this chapter.

(b)1. Except as provided in subparagraph 2. or subparagraph 3., use the name or title “professional engineer” or any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or device tending to indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer when the person is not licensed under this chapter, including, but not limited to, the following titles: “agricultural engineer,” “air-conditioning engineer,” “architectural engineer,” “building engineer,” “chemical engineer,” “civil engineer,” “control systems engineer,” “electrical engineer,” “environmental engineer,” “fire protection engineer,” “industrial engineer,” “manufacturing engineer,” “mechanical engineer,” “metallurgical engineer,” “mining engineer,” “minerals engineer,” “marine engineer,” “nuclear engineer,” “petroleum engineer,” “plumbing engineer,” “structural engineer,” “transportation engineer,” “software engineer,” “computer hardware engineer,” or “systems engineer.”
Though someone may have passed the PE exam, they are not licensed until it has been verified with NCEES and a license number is issued. (At least in Florida.)

But check your own state's statutes and rules, which may be different from Florida's.

Last edited by a moderator:
471.031 Prohibitions; penalties.

(1) A person may not:

(a) Practice engineering unless the person is licensed or exempt from licensure under this chapter.

(b)1. Except as provided in subparagraph 2. or subparagraph 3., use the name or title “professional engineer” or any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or device tending to indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer when the person is not licensed under this chapter, including, but not limited to, the following titles
It’s better to wait until a licensed is issued.

With regard to the Florida Statue mentioned above, “use the name or title including but not limited to: electrical engineer, civil engineer, chemical engineer, Et. Al,” this specific clause may have encroached on the bill of rights of an individual person living in the US pursuant to the First Amendment and Perhaps Fourteenth amendment of the US Constitution. 

Love you all 🙏

Back