What's a good Central HVAC unit?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaBino

Reaction score
I need a new home central hvac unit.

It needs to be a split unit and 3 ton.

I've got phone quotes on a Trane XL-15 at $8000 and Carrier Comfort series model at $5500 (before tax credit price and both supposedly qualify for the tax credit).

What company/unit would you engineers recommend for price/reliability (not limiting it to the 2 listed above)?

Thanks

I had a new Lennox XP16 installed in 2007 (along with a new inside Lennox unit as well). Has a 10 year warranty. I've been very happy with it. Electric bill dropped significantly (summer bills were over $400, now they're under $250), all I've done is feed it filters. I like the variable fan speed inside the house, keeps the air moving slowly but surely. It also has a plastic ("composite") drip pan (my previous unit's drip pan had rusted through and was making a mess). They have options like humidity control and UV air sterilization that I did not purchase. No regrets. I think I paid about $7500 installed for it (3 years ago, granted). Was worth it to me. :)

trane/carrier/bryant/lennox they are all about the same in quality. if its a furnace get as high efficiency as possible (about 94-96%) and 16 SEER is high enough for the condensing unit.

Back