Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we'd prefer something quest/story based. Sea of Thieves probably would have worked, but I hear a ton of complaints from frustrated fans that you're constantly being sunk/harassed by trolls, so there's no way to opt out of combat if you don't want to.

@Supe

Hm... you're definitely looking for co-op multiplayer and not vs multiplayer? I can't think of any games with a co-op campaign that is more than 2 people. But I'm not an expert.

If multiplayer versus was an option, casual games like "Among Us" or "Fall Guys" would be a lot of fun.

Re: rocket league: Thats a good suggestion. I think a lot of sports games or racing games would work, but that may not be what you're looking for.

Just get you a Raspberry Pi, micro SD and run RetroPie. Find some classic Roms and a couple of USB controllers and your set. I had one setup a few years ago, plugged it in and found that the SD card was shot, found a new one in an old phone and re-wrote the setup and had a mario3 marathon this last weekend. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think. Youtube is pretty useful on the subject.

@Supe

Hm... you're definitely looking for co-op multiplayer and not vs multiplayer? I can't think of any games with a co-op campaign that is more than 2 people. But I'm not an expert.

If multiplayer versus was an option, casual games like "Among Us" or "Fall Guys" would be a lot of fun.

Re: rocket league: Thats a good suggestion. I think a lot of sports games or racing games would work, but that may not be what you're looking for.
Yeah, definitely looking for co-op where teams can do quests/missions. Seems like the two I can find so far are GTA online that lets you team up for heists, or Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, definitely looking for co-op where teams can do quests/missions. Seems like the two I can find so far are GTA online that lets you team up for heists, or Elder Scrolls.
I've never played Elder Scrolls, but heard nothing but great things about it, even from people who don't normally play computer games.

As a side note, once a week I team up with a former co-worker, one his friends, and my sister's boyfriend and play COD Warzone. I think there's only one person in our group under 45. We strictly play "Plunder", where you run around and grab as much money as you can, and the team with the most money wins. Of course, being a COD game, combat is sometimes unavoidable, but we win many matches since we focus on grabbing money, activating side missions (contracts to make more money) and avoid confrontation. It's a blast and it's cross-platform.

We have been playing Phasmophobia several nights a week. That game is creepy, unbelievably frustrating, and addicting!

I read that as Phantasmagoria the first time. That was a good game, and terrifying for the time.
I loved Phantasmagoria. I still remember the scene where the person was killed by getting dirt packed down their throat in the greenhouse! I was a big fan of the Gabriel Knight games too, like the Beast Within games. All the LucasArts and Sierra adventure games are my jam.

So we've more or less settled into a three game rotation with the family and a few online friends:

-Phasmaphobia, which is about to have an update with two new ghosts released just before Halloween
-Deceit, is similar to Among Us but with much better graphics/levels and a first person shooter element. You can still vote someone out, but have to take them down via first person shooter and have someone else finish them off. You progress through three levels, and one or two people can transform into monsters during the blackout periods and attack you. You don't know if there is one monster or two when you start, and some of them can clone themselves, making it extra tricky.
-7 Days to Die, great little zombie survival game (pretty old already but with a good sized following) that Mrs. Supe is hooked on and we've already sunk way too many hours into. Although its very crafting/scavenging heavy (which I'm usually not a huge fan of), when you play with 3 or more people, you can sort of hand off the duties you don't like to somebody else that does. Every 7th day there is a "blood moon" where you will be attacked aggressively by a stream of zombies for several game-hours (maybe 10-12 real-world minutes), and are unlikely to survive unless you're on a rooftop and well defended. In general, zombies are more aggressive at night and less aggressive by day, but become increasingly aggressive the more time you spend in the game. Zombie types also vary by location in the game, and are also attracted to noise/activity in an area. There are supposed to be some big updates coming out for this game soon as well.

I just started playing "Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden" on PC

I'm probably 10 hours in and it's great!

Y'all, I just picked up a PS5 last week. First console I've bought since I bought the Xbox 360 Slim when it came out. I've been out of the loop for a long time on gaming. I feel like such an old man. This controller with dual vibration and adaptive trigger? Amazing. The wife and I are playing It Takes Two, and I'm playing Warzone on my own. These 13 year-olds on Warzone are much better than the 12 year-olds on COD: Mobile lol!

Y'all, I just picked up a PS5 last week. First console I've bought since I bought the Xbox 360 Slim when it came out. I've been out of the loop for a long time on gaming. I feel like such an old man. This controller with dual vibration and adaptive trigger? Amazing. The wife and I are playing It Takes Two, and I'm playing Warzone on my own. These 13 year-olds on Warzone are much better than the 12 year-olds on COD: Mobile lol!
Warzone is a tough game, especially the Battle Royale. We tend to stick with Plunder most of the time, since it suits our play style and we feel like we have a pretty good chance each match. We tend to alternate between that and Payload.

I'm starting a new game, Echo.

TL;DR summary...
You're in a palace trying to reach ... some objective.
The palace creates duplicates of you as enemies. At first the enemies can only walk toward you and grab you. But whatever the palace sees you do the enemies learn to do.
So if you run, they learn to run. If you jump, shoot, traverse obstacles, the enemies learn to do it too.

(cinematic trailer)

(gameplay trailer)

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is becoming a problem. I was up until 4am Friday night collecting trading stock and wood to buy the house they were demo'ing in Hateno. It's a really fun game.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is becoming a problem. I was up until 4am Friday night collecting trading stock and wood to buy the house they were demo'ing in Hateno. It's a really fun game.
It's a great game!

Just like real life. You'll be investing in Link's house for a long time. 😄

Back