What Professional Organizations Are You A Member Of?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhmayWuntee P.E.

Asst. Director of Public Works
Reaction score
I am curious as to which (if any) professional organizations you guys are a member of. This can be either you personally or perhaps an employer membership that covers multiple people. Both Engineering specific as well as public agency ones. I am considering joining one or a few, but also want to be sure I can get something useful out of it such as PDH credits with free/cheap webinars or something that keeps you up to speed on related news and technology in our field. Some seem to cost a lot more than others, but doesn't necessarily bring in similar value for the money.

A few I am aware of to give an example of organizations I am referring to:

• APWA
  • ASCE (and other disciplines besides civil)
  • AWWA
  • NSPE (and state specific like TSPE = Texas)
Chime in if any of these seem worthwhile to you and what others you know of or are/have been a member of. 

Is there anything specifically related to traffic/transportation fields?

I'm a member of NEWEA. I've wanted to join NSPE, but haven't wanted to spend the money yet. 

I think it really depends on which are active in your area. I have usually worked remotely, where there are no local meetings of any groups. Memberships have very limited value in those cases, unless you go out of your way to participate in committees by phone, etc. If you live in a larger metro area, check around and see which societies meet there and how active they are. It will really depend on the city. My next assignment is in a place where SAME is really big (Society of American Military Engineers) and has taken over from ASCE and NSPE, mostly because there is so much money in military related contruction so that's where all the carpetbaggers consultants want to hang out.  In my opinion, most of the value in these organizations is in the personal connection / networking that occurs at in-person meetings. The other benefits of a membership (discounts on publications, magazines) don't really pencil out for me.

Back