What is allowed in exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is better to err on the side of caution. There are questions that are dangerously similar to questions in reference material.

So, can you prove it?

Like Matt said, I wasn't taking any chances. 

Just my 2 cents. to each there own.

Two questions: 

I bought a backup calculator to take with me to the exam, but I don’t want to open it until I need it so that I can return it if I didn’t use it. Can I bring the unwrapped calculator in it’s plastic packaging with me to the test or does it have to be open? 

Im bringing three binders, code book, some textbooks with me to the exam. Obviously I can’t carry it all in my hands so I will put them in a bag/rolling backpack of some sort. Do they allow the backpack in the testing area or do we have to empty the backpack and leave the backpack somewhere and just take our books with us inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two questions: 

I bought a backup calculator to take with me to the exam, but I don’t want to open it until I need it so that I can return it if I didn’t use it. Can I bring the unwrapped calculator in it’s plastic packaging with me to the test or does it have to be open? 

Im bringing three binders, code book, some textbooks with me to the exam. Obviously I can’t carry it all in my hands so I will put them in a bag/rolling backpack of some sort. Do they allow the backpack in the testing area or do we have to empty the backpack and leave the backpack somewhere and just take our books with us inside?
I have similar question, I am giving exam first time as I don't have prior experience. I am planning to take around 15 odd books/binders which

would fit in at least 2 suitcase. I will prioritize the strongly needed books in one suitcase and the other seldom used in other suitcase.

From past exam takers, please let me know if we have to take all the books at one time inside or we can come back to collect later or

do they allow a suitcase as it is (packed) near my seat so I can open the suitcase if I need less prior books.

Secondly if we don't have choice and have to carry all the books in one shot, then the table/seat they allow (is it big enough) to accommodate

the books or we can put some of the less important books on floor beside us.

You are normally given a lunch break which you are allowed to leave and come back.  However I would not risk not having a resource available because you do not know the order of the test exam questions. 

Once you are in, you are in for the 4 hour segment.  You are only allowed to leave for a bathroom break, and typically those are somewhat monitored.  You cannot leave to go to your car for instance.  

You are normally given a lunch break which you are allowed to leave and come back.  However I would not risk not having a resource available because you do not know the order of the test exam questions. 

Once you are in, you are in for the 4 hour segment.  You are only allowed to leave for a bathroom break, and typically those are somewhat monitored.  You cannot leave to go to your car for instance.  
So are you allowed to take the suitcase of books with you in the testing area?

So are you allowed to take the suitcase of books with you in the testing area?
Yes. You can use whatever you want to bring material to the exam. People will have all kinds of items including crates, rolling luggages, backpacks, hand trucks ( mini and full size). If you feel like you have too much, chances are you'll see at least a few people with the same or more stuff than you. 

The one thing to take into account is travel distance from parking to test room (carrying a full milk crate a long distance gets heavy, and is even heavier at the end of the day). Also make sure you account for weather conditions. If it rains, you will need something to protect your material from getting wet while outside. Luckily, for my 1st attempt, I had 1 of my daughters blankets in my trunk to be able to cover my milk crate.

I was going to bring a giant tub (clear Hefty bin) of my books into the exam room. But the area where's it's held is in a tight area (NYC) and I will not be driving to the exam, so I will have to commute. Taking public transit with that giant tub is a no-go. I was thinking of using my giant, gym duffel bag to take all of my books and just carry them in.

Would they have an issue with a giant black duffel bag?

For FE I took backup calculator and they said you can not have 2 calculators at the same time. I said what happens if my calc dies? They said at that time you can grab it from the locker room. This is tricky though, it will take 5 -10 mins to check in check out and get your calculator and this loss of 10 mins would put additional mental pressure. 

What is the scoop with PE,  can you have another calculator right with you just in case without losing any time? 

I brought a spare battery and small screwdriver to the exam.  The week before the exam, I did three timed practice runs of replacing the battery until I could do it in less than 2 minutes.  Then I replaced the existing battery with the spare so I had a brand new battery and the spare one was "used".  

Of course I'm joking about the three timed practice runs, but I did make sure I knew how to replace the battery in case I got in a bind.  

The proctors examined everyone's calculator while they were checking IDs.  I don't remember seeing anyone checking in a spare calculator but if it's allowed it's a good idea to bring one.  I figured bringing a spare battery was good enough.  I'm pretty careful with electronics.  I have a history of keeping the same cell phone for 2 years or more and I never get those covers or protectors for them.  I guess I'm just careful with stuff.  If you're the type who drops or breaks things a lot then I highly recommend getting a spare calculator.  

I remember seeing a bunch of people with a spare calculator both times I took the PE. The proctors were okay with it.

I am astonished at the amount of stuff people are talking about taking with them. I can understand one binder with miscellaneous copies, formulas, whatever; couple of reference books and required code books. Beyond that if you go with 2 suitcases, first you have to know which book will have that information exactly. If not searching through the book will take long time and may be counter productive.  

I heard about bound material. Can you take a three ring binder, punch a holes on papers and keep putting that in a 3 ring binder? like how we normally use three ring binder.  Is this allowed or they will consider this as "loose papers". 

I am astonished at the amount of stuff people are talking about taking with them. I can understand one binder with miscellaneous copies, formulas, whatever; couple of reference books and required code books. Beyond that if you go with 2 suitcases, first you have to know which book will have that information exactly. If not searching through the book will take long time and may be counter productive.  

I heard about bound material. Can you take a three ring binder, punch a holes on papers and keep putting that in a 3 ring binder? like how we normally use three ring binder.  Is this allowed or they will consider this as "loose papers". 
i took a small duffel bag first go around and i was short on material.  the second time i took a medium suitcase and it weighed i would say 75lbs.  the issue is, there are say 5 questions on th exam that are out of nowhere and are baffling, but if you have the right book you can possible find the answer.  i was able to find extremely discrete information in some of my books

i also had plenty of three ring binders.  i was nervous a few times as i was flipping so fast (and often) some of the hole became torn and the sheets were coming loose.

what i made sure of, is that i knew what was in each binder and book (generally speaking).  you won't remember everything, but sometimes the difference between passing and failing is a question (maybe) and that analytical discrete off the wall question could be it.  

Back