What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a full time Linux user on my desktop and laptop.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do to replace the desktop. I use if for web browsing, word processing, and after I pass the PE (hopefully in april 2015), some light gaming and perhaps some video editing from my mini DVI camera. I'll PM you if I have any specific questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I cleared the bios and the computer booted. I'll back up my **** tonight. Now the question is should I still buy a new computer?

Ok jedi master. I have a 5 yr old desktop computer that I haven't used in 4 years but planning to get it back up and running. I do think remember the specs on it, but I know for sure that the operating system is xp. Now, I just bought a 32" led LG TV (model 32lb520b) for my kids to use for movies and the Xbox console. Then I had a brilliant idea to hook up the desktop to it and make it kind of a multimedia area. The TV has a vga port, but is labeled "service only". I attempted to hook up the vga cable to it but it does recognize the computer so I'm pretty sure it's not an input port. So I'm sure that I will need a new video card to utilize the home ports as a monitor.

First question is, what is the purpose of a "service only" post?

Second is, what video card do you suggest, knowing that I would be using it for any kind of gaming? Or, is there an adapter to go from vga to hdmi that can buy? I just thought of that last part as I was typing this.

Ultimately the computer is intended to be the family computer with the basic functions for us as well as the kids. I'm sure I'll need to upgrade xp since it's no longer suggested by Microsoft. I will also need to get a wireless network card unless I decide to run about 50 ft of network cable through my crawl space.

So, please I'm all ears to your thoughts oh wise one.

So I cleared the bios and the computer booted. I'll back up my **** tonight. Now the question is should I still buy a new computer?
I would still definitely consider upgrading. A lot of great options out there lately for budget builds. Could probably be done at a bare minimum for $200 or less.

Ok jedi master. I have a 5 yr old desktop computer that I haven't used in 4 years but planning to get it back up and running. I do think remember the specs on it, but I know for sure that the operating system is xp. Now, I just bought a 32" led LG TV (model 32lb520b) for my kids to use for movies and the Xbox console. Then I had a brilliant idea to hook up the desktop to it and make it kind of a multimedia area. The TV has a vga port, but is labeled "service only". I attempted to hook up the vga cable to it but it does recognize the computer so I'm pretty sure it's not an input port. So I'm sure that I will need a new video card to utilize the home ports as a monitor.

First question is, what is the purpose of a "service only" post? Service only ports are typically for manufacturer repairs and/or firmware updates. I'm guessing it is labeled as service only since it it is a video output vs. an input. In which case I imagine that particular model utilizes some type of hand-held programming module where it needs to get system/diagnostic info from the TV in the event the main screen were inoperable.

Second is, what video card do you suggest, knowing that I would be using it for any kind of gaming? Or, is there an adapter to go from vga to hdmi that can buy? I just thought of that last part as I was typing this. I wholeheartedly support you getting one of these. J/K!!

Here are a few options for you. Keep in mind that there are a number of options to convert DisplayPort/DVI to analog. But be cautious, depending on the configuration you may need an active adapter versus a passive one.

Budget Option 1

Budget Option 2

Ultimately the computer is intended to be the family computer with the basic functions for us as well as the kids. I'm sure I'll need to upgrade xp since it's no longer suggested by Microsoft. I will also need to get a wireless network card unless I decide to run about 50 ft of network cable through my crawl space. You really don't even need a "card" anymore for converting a PC from wired to wireless. Adapters are available now that are the size of a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver. And some newer motherboards now even have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality built-in on-board. See recommendation above:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=23130&page=11#entry7248988

So, please I'm all ears to your thoughts oh wise one.
See my responses.

Under $400 if possible

Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case

AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB Graphics Card

BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP Black body with black front panel Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

500G HHD

EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply

I play Dayz game maybe some of the newer modern game
I'm not quite sure what advice you're seeking. Are you asking if the hardware listed is acceptable? You didn't include any prices so I'm not certain if the hardware meets your $400 budget either. A gaming machine (even low-end) is going to be tough on a $400 budget (but doable w/ certain exceptions). At the same time you're going to want something that is reliable so you don't end up having to replace anything a year from now. Which would be counter-productive with regard to your budget. If you want, I can list some hardware w/ pricing to see how it measures up to your budget. In my experience, $500-600 is really the sweet spot today for a low-end desktop gaming rig. And provides plenty of opportunity for future upgrades.

Under $400 if possible

Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case

AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB Graphics Card

BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP Black body with black front panel Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

500G HHD

EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply

I play Dayz game maybe some of the newer modern game
I'm not quite sure what advice you're seeking. Are you asking if the hardware listed is acceptable? You didn't include any prices so I'm not certain if the hardware meets your $400 budget either. A gaming machine (even low-end) is going to be tough on a $400 budget (but doable w/ certain exceptions). At the same time you're going to want something that is reliable so you don't end up having to replace anything a year from now. Which would be counter-productive with regard to your budget. If you want, I can list some hardware w/ pricing to see how it measures up to your budget. In my experience, $500-600 is really the sweet spot today for a low-end desktop gaming rig. And provides plenty of opportunity for future upgrades.
Sorry didn't include the pricing...

with this setup it's about $456 (after taxes)

FX 6300 CPU - $89.99 (microcenter)

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P MOBO - $34.99 (combo deal with CPU)

Crucial Ballistix Sport (2) 4G - $60.99 (newegg)

Sapphire Radeon R9 270x -$159.99 (microcenter)

EVGA 500 B 80 PLus Bronze 500W $29.99 (newegg)

Thermaltake v3 case - $19.99 (microcenter)

I have SSD laying around. I might swap a different video card

The SSD will go a long way to increasing performance so I recommend that be your main operating system drive. 2 primary components that really make or break a gaming machine, the CPU and the video card. Any chance there are CPU/Mobo combo w/ an Intel i3? What kind of warranty comes with that EVGA power supply? One thing I've learned quite well is to not cheap out on a power supply and to ensure it has a good warranty. I typically go with CoolerMaster or Corsair supplies.

I'm ok with most PC's running Windows and therefore, most viruses attacking windows. Just leave me and my Linux computer out of it.

(and my work computer is clean)

Very well.

Although I can't recall the last time I had a PC infection on any of the 5 PCs running at home since I first started using Win7. ;) One is now running 8.1 and my media PC is running Win10.

Got a recommendation for a dirt cheap (<$300) laptop for use solely as a wifi internet/email computer (TWC Everyday low price for ISP).

Looking at a Motorola SBG6580 as modem/router.

Thoughts?

Got a recommendation for a dirt cheap (<$300) laptop for use solely as a wifi internet/email computer (TWC Everyday low price for ISP).

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good setup. I do like the Moto SB modems and currently run one of the more elite models at home. And as much as I despise their business practices and lack of customer support, TWC is generally unmatched with respect to UL/DL speeds (not counting Google fiber). Good to hear from you CW.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good setup. I do like the Moto SB modems and currently run one of the more elite models at home. And as much as I despise their business practices and lack of customer support, TWC is generally unmatched with respect to UL/DL speeds (not counting Google fiber). Good to hear from you CW.

Any recommendations for a cheap laptop? (Sorry, I didn't phrase the original question well).

I'm still around and still reading, but I've cut posting waaaaaay down across the interwebz.

Cap'n. glad to see you posting here again. Get that cheap laptop and get back in the EB game.

Any thoughts on the Surface Pro? My sister is a teacher and is looking for one to replace her antiquated laptop, and really wants the tablet/laptop functionality.

Thoughts?

Any recommendations for a cheap laptop? (Sorry, I didn't phrase the original question well).

I'm still around and still reading, but I've cut posting waaaaaay down across the interwebz.
Ya it sounded like you had already been given a recommendation for a laptop. You're going to be hard pressed to find a laptop for <$300 unless you try your luck at something used. Generally the base for bare min. specs is right around $400. Otherwise you are looking at a "netbook" which I would highly advise against. Another option if that is your price range would be a tablet with a detachable/remote keyboard and maybe a monitor as well. But even then your cost savings won't be that substantial. I just made some recommendations (in order of preference) for another friend who was on a pretty tight budget. Take a look and see if you have any further questions.

[SIZE=11pt]1. [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9623345&CatId=4935[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]2. [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9126288&CatId=4935[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]3. [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]http://www.amazon.com/HP-350-G1-Performance-Professional/dp/B00Q3J64EI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426708252&sr=1-4&keywords=hp+350+g1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]http://www.amazon.com/HP-K4L54UT-Notebook-Graphics-Professional/dp/B00PG80KT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426708252&sr=1-2&keywords=hp+350+g1[/SIZE]

Any thoughts on the Surface Pro? My sister is a teacher and is looking for one to replace her antiquated laptop, and really wants the tablet/laptop functionality.
If it's the 3rd generation, they are rock solid. Great specs, functionality and of course, portability. The detachable keyboard is slick and the HDMI output port is awesome for connection to an external monitor/TV/projector.

Back