What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you using your laptop in conjunction with two external monitors, or do you just need one monitor and the laptop screen? Just asking, because there are a few ways to accomplish this that doesn't require a displayport.
One monitor and the laptop screen. I just want the miniDP connection in the laptop because that’s the cable I have that makes it connect properly with my current loaned crappy Dell laptop.

If its the displayport on your current monitor you're worried about keeping, then you may have better luck looking for a USB-C connection in your price range, which can output DP signals and connect with a conversion cable or adapter. Otherwise, I would do what you can to use the HDMI out. Displayports on laptops are normally associated with higher end gaming laptops, which will be 2x-3x minimum of your target price point.

The HP 15-dy2076nr is available from BJ's right now for $500, though you may be able to get others to price match. i5, 8GB RAM, and a USB-C port. You will hate yourself with anything less than that, because Windows will crawl and multitasking will be painful. I believe this is the same model I bought my daughter for school a year and a half ago and it's held up just fine. Outside of that, you may want to look at some refurbs, though they can be hit or miss.

I ended up going with this guy, which Best Buy could price match down to $499.99 and looked nearly identical to the one you linked to at BJ’s:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-...gb-ssd-natural-silver/6461987.p?skuId=6461987
It should be fine! Just gotta figure out what cord I need to get to hook up the additional monitor. I prefer a direct cord connection vs a dock, since I have no other need for a dock with my Bluetooth mouse and corded Headphone/microphone situation.

You will want either a USB-C to displayport cable, or if your monitor has (and odds are, it does) an HDMI input, I would just use an HDMI cable and leave the side of the laptop and USB-C port free.

Back