What did you do right? April 2006

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 kids and i have to work long hours along wtih all teh practices. So there was no studying time for me. Always some kid event / emergency, along with being the office manager for a small engineering company.

I failed the first time, i hardly studied.

I took the school of professional engineering review class and workshop. 5 saturdays and sundays in another town. It was hard, but i had to make the commitment to go away every weekend for the 5 weeks. I did not study during the week between the classes.

the classes are outstanding.

I also took the week off from work before the test and had a hotel room in the city (away from the family and work) where the test is - that i do not live in.

I studied that entire week for the test.

I am very confident i passed this time.

This is the only way i could of passed - i hope.

On morning and afternoon, before I worked any problems, I read every one and graded it for difficulty- 1,2,3,4. I did all of the 1's first, then the 2's, etc. Some of the numbers were adjusted, but overall, this worked well for me. The ones that were the hardest were left at the end and I probably couldn't work them, anyway, so it wasn't a big deal that there was no time.

On morning and afternoon, before I worked any problems, I read every one and graded it for difficulty- 1,2,3,4. I did all of the 1's first, then the 2's, etc. Some of the numbers were adjusted, but overall, this worked well for me. The ones that were the hardest were left at the end and I probably couldn't work them, anyway, so it wasn't a big deal that there was no time.
I did it a little different... I spent two minutes working on each problem and then made a decision whether I'd get it done in another four. If I thought I'd get it done, I got 'er done. If I wasn't sure I'd get it done, I rated the difficulty (1,2,3) and then moved on. My thought was 1) I didn't want to waste time reading/grading a problem that I was going to get done easily and 2) Sometimes I might have thought a problem was easy or hard and after just a minute or so realized I was completely wrong.

But bottom line: you don't want to get stuck on a problem for ten minutes before you realize you're not going to get it.

Back