Water/wastewater questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudgey

Master of Disaster
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about some of the water and wastewater problems on the exam.

I think the questions could be a little less dry if they gave more backstory to them.

A city generates 10,000 gpd of municipal wastewater per day. On the day of the city chili cookoff however, a peaking factor of 3.1 is applied. 5,000 gpd of industrial discharges from a paint factory are also present. Bob at the plant loves to smell the paint.

Or, something like this...

Bill is the owner of a topless car wash. He doesn't mind hard customers, but the hard water is killing his equipment. Assume Misty and the girls can wash 8 cars per hour, and each washing uses 25 gallons of water. If the initial hardness of the water is 250 ppm as CaCO3, how much lime must be added per day to achieve a final hardness of 50 ppm as CaCO3? Lime is available for $49/1,000 lbs at 66% purity.

I just think it would make things more interesting, you know?

That?s right. You need to understand that the PE exam is a kind of practical exam. They?ll give you problems (which are not refined) to solve. Kinda like a cooking contest where you?re asked to make potato salad; you have to boil, peel, cut up the potato yourself and then mix with other ingredients to make potato salad. Here for the PE exam they?ll give you a real life problem with much information, then you need to sort out information you need to solve the problem. In the FE exam, on the other hand, the questions are simplified and you need shorter time to solve. Also I think that giving a lengthy question , they test you on the ?reading comprehension? aspect of the Technical Communication?

Eight hour exam for a professional licence is no big deal. In other to have a Certificate of High School Graduate my brothers (in the 60?s and 70?s) had to take a 2&half day exam which included 3 hr math, 3 hr Physics & chem, 3hr Hist & Geogr, 2 hr philosophy/literature, 3 hr foreign languages, Biology, etc.

cantloup,

We had one problem that was code-related in nature. The code excerpt was so long and ambiguous (as codes can be) that I don't even think I ever completely read the entire question.

I was so rattled I just ended up guessing. I think I was either right or off by a factor of 2 (which was also one of the answer choices).

Too long of a question lost me. I felt like I spent my 6 minutes just trying to read it!

Ed

cantloup,We had one problem that was code-related in nature. The code excerpt was so long and ambiguous (as codes can be) that I don't even think I ever completely read the entire question.

Ed
Well, codes aren't supposed to be obvious. How else do you keep them a secret?

For example:

"K LWUV DCTHGF KP C UQEM"

Translates to "I just barfed in a sock."

I just bumped every letter in my sentence 2-letter back in the alphabet. 'I' goes to 'K'. 'J' goes to 'L' and so on.

It can be our EB.com secret code. We can get decoder rings for everyone! :???:

Back