Water Service Sizing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
My firm was just hired as city engineer for a small municipality. Currently working with a City to extend a water service to a commercial building owner (owner currently uses private well & septic tank). Business involves washing larger motor homes & recreational vehicles. His septic tank hauler said he pumped 70,000 gallons. Need to come up with a size of water main and sewer service.  

My question is that I am unsure of how to size a water main. Unsure yet if any future expansion will be require sprinklers.

Looking for help on how to best determine size of water main.

Have you checked with the water company?  They usually have standard flow rates for different uses. Since his is a somewhat unique use, you should also look at the specifications of any automated machines he has to see what flow rate they use.

Are you designing the main in the street or the lateral to his building?  If just responsible for the main in the street, you could probably just use same size as the existing main that you will be tying into. 

Back