Vote looms in Ga. over solar power usage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
ATLANTA (AP) -- A political group founded by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch wants Georgia's utility regulators to reject a plan requiring Southern Co. to buy more solar energy, but an Associated Press review ahead of a vote on the issue finds that it has used misleading figures to build its case.

The Georgia chapter of Americans For Prosperity has said in mass emails and on Twitter that a proposal requiring Southern Co. subsidiary Georgia Power to buy more solar energy could raise energy bills by 40 percent. A review of those figures shows the claim is misleading, and there's a debate over how much solar energy might cost.

Looks like you Georgians may be screwed....maybe....

To support her claim, Galloway cited a study by the Institute for Energy Research showing that customers in states that require utilities to buy renewable energy paid an average of 39 percent more than customers in states without those rules, such as Georgia.

That is not an exact comparison because many factors — not just solar technology — influence prices. The demand for energy and the available supply affect prices. So does local weather. So does choice: In some places, consumers can pick their own electricity provider. In other places, they must rely on a monopoly. And renewable energy requirements vary greatly among the states that have them.

"It's hard to say it would be fair to apply that across the board," said Liz Coyle, deputy director of Georgia Watch, a consumer advocacy group that supports renewable energy but is wary of consumer cost increases.

Much more at: http://news.yahoo.com/vote-looms-ga-over-solar-135239832.html

Really? I think it would be quite the coup for GA to go so green!

:poking:

Several of the electric companies here in CO give the option for consumers to purchase a certain amount of green energy (wind or solar being the top 2). I honestly don't pay enough attention to what the Dex household actually buys...

^I know in Charlotte, you can pay extra to 'get' green energy.

(It is a scheme to take money from the idealistic, IMO)

Anybody have stats on power usage broken out by residential, commercial and industrial? Instead of forcing changes at the utility or generation levels, it may be worthwhile to direct unicorn fart funding towards subsidies for individual home solar PV/water heater arrays in certain parts of the country. In some areas (Alaska, Pacific Northwest, etc.), solar isn't even feasible on a small scale, but in sunnier climates, it could put a serious dent in residential usage.

To clarify, I am against all forms of government subsidy, but the only thing I hate more than government handouts is government handouts for things that have absolutely no chance of working (i.e., large scale solar arrays for grid power generation).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Legislature will do whatever <<insert random utility company name here>> tell them to do..

To clarify, I am against all forms of government subsidy, but the only thing I hate more than government handouts is government handouts for things that have absolutely no chance of working (i.e., large scale solar arrays for grid power generation).
The only subsidy I like is the one I get from MP...

Alaska does get a bunch of solar; just during the summer. The interior & Northward doesn't do so hot in the winter with the solar energy, but there are several remote sites that rely on solar and wind to recharge the batteries that can only be tended to once or twice every couple years (basically when you can afford the chopper ride). We're getting more into the wind turbines; about 40 have gone up in the past year around the state, so it has helped the rural villages some.

The local co-op / electric monopoly has a green purchase that you can be a part of to aid in the development of renewable resources. There's quite a few home owners that get involved with the project and have mini wind generators going, as well as solar panels. Some claim it offsets their costs considerably, others, no so much. But when it's ~$0.23 / kWh, you'll do whatever you can to offset the cost.

Instead of forcing changes at the utility or generation levels, it may be worthwhile to direct unicorn fart funding towards subsidies for individual home solar PV/water heater arrays in certain parts of the country.

You can get tax credits for installing solar on your home. 30% of cost with no upper limit: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index

I really don't have much of a problem with that program. I think tax credits to individuals for installation are the way t pursue wind and solar. I don't see tax credits as a subsidy.

^I know in Charlotte, you can pay extra to 'get' green energy.

(It is a scheme to take money from the idealistic, IMO)

Yeah, and you should see how often the solar-powered parking meters work, or how many people "refuel" at the pay electric charging stations which were installed JUST BEFORE the DNC came to town.

(Never and none).

Solar powered parking meters? WTF is wrong with good old fashioned mechanical ones?

I shit you not. Found on Google, roughly a block or so away from where I work. We have the same ones out front.

8632448847_5a87050237_b.jpg

^LOL at credit cards for parking meters.

And I feel ghetto when I buy Mickey D's on my debit card.

^ I wouldn't use my credit card at a parking meter but I don't carry cash unless I know I have no other option. Less than $20 if that in my wallet any given time.

<--- currently has $0.75 in my pocket. Most cash I've had in a month...

We have solar parking meters here in Denver too, but they're not those monstrosities. Ours are only slightly bigger than the "traditional" coin operated ones, but ours also take credit cards.

Well, the funny part is, they don't work half the time, because they don't get enough of a charge (either from tree shade, or the unusually rainy weather we've had this year.) So, they'll be off in the mornings, and then turn on in the afternoon, after people have already parked. Then they get ticketed.

Back