VIRGINIA - RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more suggestion - take a little time shortly before exam to review the topics that were at the beginning of your study time so they are fresh.

:sharkattack:

One more suggestion - take a little time shortly before exam to review the topics that were at the beginning of your study time so they are fresh.
I don't know how helpful this would be to you but take it for what its worth. The key to the exam in my experience is to be able to relate theory to practice. In other words, knowing the theory down cold is just the first step. The second step is to solve problems. Solve as many as you can without looking at the solution. try to solve it at least three or four times before looking at the solution if u can't do it. Reading the solution and understanding it is deceptive.

Next..be organized in your study approach. Read the CERM or MERM and decide on what the afternoon discipline is going to be and stick to the topics in some order and study according to that.

Next, make sure your references are in order and up to date. Tab them in a way that makes sense to you, we are all wired differently so what works for one doesnt work for all. The next thing is how much study do you have to do?..As much as is comfortable. I don't have a clue ..its person specific.

Just be consistent.

Exam day..be confident, don't panic and start racing thru questions or guessing when u can think the problem thru on a fundamental level. Remember, 6 mins is a long time to solve a problem and on some of them you need about a min.

Anyhoo...strategize , believe, prepare and kick the hell out of the exam. What I also noticed is that the morning exam is pretty manageable and if u come out feeling good, it the afternoon you tend to relax and kick ass.. Good luck y'all who are going out for the first time and repeat takers.

DPOR letter came today, I passed FE test 1st try. 18 years out of college. Got to go home and read it.

I know I already passed from the DPOR website...but still have not received my official letter as of this morning (Saturday). I assume I should get it today but being as I live 2 miles from the DPOR office I would have thought I would have had the letter by yesterday at the latest. I should have walked in and just asked for it. :)

I know I already passed from the DPOR website...but still have not received my official letter as of this morning (Saturday). I assume I should get it today but being as I live 2 miles from the DPOR office I would have thought I would have had the letter by yesterday at the latest. I should have walked in and just asked for it. :)
How did you keep yourself from doing that last Monday? It would have bothered me for the last 2 months or so, but it would have KILLED me last Monday. Knowing that all of our results were just sitting on someones desk less than 2 miles from your house! That is torture!

Believe me the last week and a half I have been going batty just waiting for the results....I am not sure how I kept myself from going over to the DPOR office.....every time I went to the site and my name did not appear I was just hoping that the reason was that the results had not been posted yet which ended up being the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea.....I just got my PE certificate in the mail from DPOR.....I didn't get a letter or anything telling me what my score was so I will probably call the DPOR office on Monday to see what my score was.....did anyone get their certificate today? Did it have your score on the exam? Just wondering.

I received the PE envelope from VA DPOR - EE Power in mail today which included the pass letter with score, wallet certificate, and instructions on seal, the passing envelope (contained 3 sheets of paper) was not thin as the rumors.

I received the PE envelope from VA DPOR - EE Power in mail today which included the pass letter with score, wallet certificate, and instructions on seal, the passing envelope (contained 3 sheets of paper) was not thin as the rumors.
I got it all yesterday. A tube containing the wall certificate (I have to scramble out today before football and find a frame to resemble the one my degree is in) and an envelope containing the license (and wallet license), letter with my passing score, and instructions on the use of a seal.

I was shocked to see the score for passing. I did not think they were doing that anymore. I don't mind saying that I got a 70. As close as it gets! Not bad I guess since I really only dedicated about 150 hours to studying and this was my first (and last) attempt.

I also received my results and as I know I had failed it was just to see what I got and what the diagnostics said.

My score was a 65.

The diagnostics was not much but in some areas I thought I did better than what it said but must have messed up something. A number of areas were 100% which was good. I definitely blew some areas like HVAC and Kinematics which I was somewhat surprised because I have no problem doing those problems in the books. I do think there was some stress plying into this. Anyway, I have already started studying for the next one.

I was out of town this weekend but when I got back I noticed everything came in the mail on Saturday, 1/10 - my wall certificate in a tube, passing letter WITH a score (surprise there!), and license.

Regarding the score - I had always heard that only Texas shows a score, but now I guess we can add VA. to the list

Got my letter last friday 1/9/09.....60....study study maybe drink a beer.....study study.....beer...

jarey

Congrats to those who passed.

If you didn't pass this time, go for it again. It looks like you are very close. Study hard (and don't drink too much beer) and good luck! :)

I am back in the routine of studying but am somewhat stressed in trying to get through the entire MERM in enough time to work more problems and do a practice exam. I started on 1/6 and am not though fluids yet. The tough part is that even though my depth is Mach design we still need to cover thermo and HVAC in depth. I covered everything last fall but the majority of the problems worked were Mach design. You really need to cover every topic in detail that is outlined in the NCEES outline which is allot. I am finding reading the MERM very helpful and have found things I missed just doing problems and reading some parts of the MERM.

This is allot of work and I feel many do not grasp the work involved. Just before the last exam I took a few days off work to study and kept getting calls from my boss and he just told me to make sure I pass, real encouragement. This time he just asked if I was studying on my own time (which I am). This is where we need PE's as we certify allot of documents, some of which I write. Most of the PE's are getting close to retirement.

Never mind I found it Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual...

MERM is Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual by M. R. Lindeburg. Very good book for studying.

buick, I faced some of the problems you are facing. My experience was split between Civil Design (mostly subdivision roads and utilities) and Mechanical Design (product design). I took ME exam 3 times and did not pass. After many years, I went back to Civil exam and passed it. And I'm back working in Civil - construction management. I think the reason I couldn't pass Mech was same problem you have. I could design gears, mechanisms, complicated assemblies, etc, but no clue on thermo or HVAC. I also took a review class, which helped a LOT. Best advice I can offer is not to spend too much time reading. Jump in and do problems in your weak areas. When you need to go back and figure out what the problem is asking, go back and read as much as you need to and refer to example problems. Good luck.

Well it's also most time to take the exam again. I have not studied as much as I would have liked to, but I feel much better about the exam this time. I basically took it cold the first time, which meant I had to look up almost every question, which as most of you know is impossible to do in 6 minutes per problem. I am also more confortable with the HP 33s and have the MERM equations stored and ready. I am also trying to ramp the studing up as much as possible, now that the exam is getting close. My family is trying not to complain when I become engulfed in practice problems, since they know April 24th will be here soon.

I will be taking the exam in Richmond, is there any others ME's from VA out there?

Mary, I didn't study and drink beer like I joked about before, but having children in the house takes away from PE studing. But my daughter and I are getting better at Algerbra 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back