Version 1.2 of NCEES Mech. Handbook is out now -- what's new?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slay the P.E.

Reaction score
This post is regarding new material only. We haven't checked if they fixed the typos that have been reported.  If you find anything else, please add to this thread.

Section 2.16.5.6 Helical Gears is completely new. The old section 2.16.5.6 Planetary Gears is now 2.16.5.7

Section 9.1.7 "Heat Gain Calculations Using Standard Air Values" has been renamed "Heat Gain Calculations Using Standard Air and Water Values" and includes about a half page of additional equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Section 3.8.8 Open Channel Flow is brand new. It only has one equation: the definition of the Froude number and no equations useful to make open channel flow calculations. 

We asked them about what changed and this is all we got:

We do not publish errata for PE handbooks. Major revisions are indicated by a change in the first number; a small number of technical and editorial changes are indicated by a change in the second number; and a small number of minor editorial changes are indicated by a change in the third number. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Found another issue:

Either that needs to be the lowercase w or the L should only be cubed. It was correct in version 1.1, why was this done?

View attachment 19355
 This made me very upset when I missed a practice problem on a sample test. Such a terrible error in the Handbook. Leads to final answer looking nowhere close to available answers. Very glad I ran into this before exam... 1 day out, here goes nothing!

Back