Utilize PE License (Civil - Construction Discipline ) in Construction Industry

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear fellow engineers, this question has been in my mind in the past few weeks: How do we utilize the PE license in construction industry?

Let's say a person with PE civil construction license works for a General Contractor building residential buildings and commercial buildings. what specific duty would he/she be assigned to different from others that don't have PE? in another word, how does he/she stands out from others?

I've seen people mentioning that the design-build process often needs a PE to coordinate, it that true?

This question has been on my mind a long time too. I personally got it for my resume/marketing only. Now I work at a construction claims consultant, so there is a lot of crossover there as far as being an "expert", but it is not necessary.

When I was working for a big heavy civil contractor in New York City there was always chatter that rules and regulations would change and PE would be needed to be a Project Manager on certain sites, for certain owners, etc. I read a RFP a month ago that stated the engineers estimate had to be stamped by a PE (we either excluded it or were informed it was a typo, I don't remember). Either way, rules change over time and they don't get less stringent.

In the past I have done back of the napkin formwork, falsework and other construction means and methods related designs. I wouldn't stamp them now, but I assume it helps in the conversation with the designer. Contractors want to reduce risk, if they can hire someone that is a good PM and a PE they can kill 2 birds with one stone assuming the PM on site will be reviewing the design, the construction designs and have a fundamental knowledge of engineering for safety and quality. Or in other words- marketing.

Well, I don't work in the building sector, or at least it's not our bread and butter. I work in heavy highway and predominantly on NJDOT/NJTA/NJ Transit projects. Each have their own requirements on what is "required" to submit for review, but they do have requirements for items that need a PE Seal. But here's a few things that my company "uses" PE Licenses for:

Formwork Design (usually classified as means & methods, but on occasion it is required)
Support of Excavation Design
Pile Driving WEAP Analysis
Steel Erection Work Plan
Demolition Work Plan
Temporary Shielding/Falsework
Jack & Bore Plans
Drilled Shaft Installation Work Plans
Ground Anchor designs
Utility Asbuilt Drawings (varies by utility company, most don't in my experience but there's an occasional oddball)
Temporary Office Trailer Set ups - required for DCA permitting

That's just a short list. I'm not sure what the building sector requirements are. But as @bwin12 mentioned above, some companies/agencies may have it as a requirement for the PM positions.

Edit: I haven't been involved in a Design-Build, yet. But I know we've done them in the past. I'm sure it depends on the scope of the project and whether you're equipped enough as a company to undertake the design. We usually sub out the real complex/involved stuff to 3rd party consultants that have the necessary software/means of doing the actual design in a timely fashion.

I just posted this in another thread. Forgot i had it. This ASCE document helped me fill out my application. There's a list of things a "Construction" engineer does.

Attachments

• ASCE Expereince.pdf
    326.1 KB · Views: 29
That's a great resource for the construction engineers application. I didn't know estimating and scheduling was experience worthy until I had applied and was taking the School of PE class. This could have saved me a ton of headaches and editing of my application.

That's a great resource for the construction engineers application. I didn't know estimating and scheduling was experience worthy until I had applied and was taking the School of PE class. This could have saved me a ton of headaches and editing of my application.
I agree, because they request "DESIGN" experience. I mean, I guess scheduling and estimating could be considered just "general" work experience, but to me, there's a certain element of "design" that goes into each. Are you checking capacities and working loads when you're doing a steel weight take off? No, but is that not one of the first steps in putting together a work plan/figured out which crane/equipment you'll need to perform the task? In order to do a schedule, you need to understand how each and every operation to be encountered over the course of the project is performed, and how they connect to the subsequent activities (for dummies, when you're building a footing, the rebar goes in BEFORE the concrete). To me, that is understanding the processes used in the industry, and some of them are "design" driven (concrete must reach X PSI strength before moving onto this task X, Y , Z).

The term "DESIGN EXPERIENCE" is what put me off longer than anticipated to take my exam. I worked for 8 years before applying because I felt that in the minimum 4 years, I hadn't amassed 2 years of "Design". But, if I go back and look at things I did that weren't necessarily design in the traditional sense, I probably could have been fine. I think the term should be changed to TECHNICAL experience. My company does some in house design work, but for teh more involved things we sub out. BUT, who's the one responsible for coordinating with the consultant and providing feedback and "on site expertise" to them? The construction engineer (me). Who's the one that's reviewing the design to make sure it can even be built? The construction engineer. Who's looking at shop drawings, catalog cuts, specs etc. to ensure they conform to the project requirements and industry practice? The construction engineer.

So while it's not direct number crunching and drawings and modeling behaviors and such, every thing has some form of "design" relevance. It's all in which lens you're looking through...

Back