Using References During the Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug E. Fresh

Reaction score
Someone in one of these threads mentioned that during the exam you can only have one reference book or binder on your work surface at a time. Was that the case for everyone?

I'm making a binder that should have most of the info I need, but I would expect that at some point I will want to have that and the MERM out at the same time. Is that not allowed?

Someone in one of these threads mentioned that during the exam you can only have one reference book or binder on your work surface at a time. Was that the case for everyone?

I'm making a binder that should have most of the info I need, but I would expect that at some point I will want to have that and the MERM out at the same time. Is that not allowed?
Not at my location.  There were books everywhere on my table.  Your test location may have different rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at my location.  There were books everywhere on my table.  Your test location may have different rules.
I took Transpo in South Carolina in April and I had the same experience. 

I usually had 5 or 6 references/binders on the table at once. No need for a shelf system when everything is out lol.

I stacked all my books on the table prior to the exam and the proctors didn’t seem to mind.

But I did do all my practice exams with only one book on the table at a time, just in case. My strategy on a lot of aspects was to practice for the worst case scenario.

Back