TX PE License - Construction Scheduler experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe0711

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience as a construction scheduler/estimator and were able to document it for licensure? Any tips would be appreciated.

Does anyone have experience as a construction scheduler/estimator and were able to document it for licensure? Any tips would be appreciated.
This is from the state of Tennessee but should help. It goes into detail of what progressive experience is per the Special Committee of the NCEES. See the section Management of Engineering, Subsections * Scheduling and * Budgeting and Contracting (Estimating).

Good Luck and I hope this helps. I had a lot of naysayers telling me I was ineligible because I did not work directly under a PE (but we had PE's in our group) and I did not design work. I talked to a State Board member at a local NSPE chapter meeting and was told the following: 1. They want to see people get licensed and will work with them to get licensed. 2. You don't have to work directly under a PE. They gave an example of Highway Contractor employee with no PE's in their firm who had a State DOT employee sign off as a "supervisor" (Note the Board member was with the State DOT). As long as they know you and know your work is what counts.

Attachments

• img008.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I had scheduling, estimating and Construction/Project Management experience and took my PE in New Mexico in 2017. I had tried earlier to take my test in Colorado (where I live and am currently a PE) but they seemed to not like my experience. I probably could have pushed it through, but it was easier to get through the application process in NM.

My experience was potentially more unique than yours as I worked for a engineering company that started a construction division. I also went through the entire application process not realizing what the civil construction test entailed. My first recommendation is to read anything you can from NCEES regarding the civil exam and regurgitate that onto your application pertaining to your experience. Per NCEES you have relevant engineering experience, you just need to document it accordingly.

If your issue is that you don't have a PE to sign off on your experience I probably won't be much help.

If you have any further questions fire away.

Let me share my experience in NJ with you: because now NJ doesn't require permission to seat in the PE exam, so I took and passed the PE exam (civil construction) before I gained enough working experience, last month I submit my application when I finally gained 4 years working experience, I applied with my NCEES record which means my statement about working experience has been reviewed and approved by NCEES. However the board denied my application by claiming my last and current job as an on site engineer in a construction company doesn't account as engineering work, which includes scheduling, planing, cost estimating.

I work in Texas and I know a construction scheduler/superintendent who was allowed to sit for the PE exam.
No engineering degree and all his experience was construction related. They required him to take the EIT and have 8 years of experience in his SER, but he passed the exam and he is a PE.

However the board denied my application by claiming my last and current job as an on site engineer in a construction company doesn't account as engineering work, which includes scheduling, planing, cost estimating.
Did the board deny you, or did a individual reviewer deny you? I think there is a difference, but it depends on how NJ conducts their business. When I was denied by Colorado it wasn't technically a denial, but I could tell the engineer reviewing my application viewed my experience as non-engineering.

If you use the construction buzzwords that are part of the NCEES books/manuals/etc. you should be able to get your licensure in NJ. Or, you can do what I did and apply to a different state then transfer over by comity (super easy with NCEES record).

Back