Tunisia, Egypt...what's next?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Popular wisdom says Yemen is getting ready to go, and Jordan already has started. Could this reach Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Popular wisdom says Yemen is getting ready to go, and Jordan already has started. Could this reach Iran and Saudi Arabia?

I foresee Israel getting into a fierce squabble within 10 years.
That area could get VERY scary VERY fast. Do you guys see a ramped up exit strategy from Afganistan and Iraq due to the current climate there? :blowup:

Considering the Iranian uprise last year failed I doubt we would see something like whats happening in Egypt happen again in Iran. Saudi Arabia I think is a long shot too. I doubt the US would allow too much turmoil to take place in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately I think massive revolution in Jordan would be bad. Its a relatively moderate and stable country and I think any revolution would push them toward the jihadist movements in the Middle East. Yemen, although a terrorist haven, has a government which has been willing to fight al-queda there. In fact the US has conducted several strikes with drones against targets there. A new government may not be so willing to take on terrorists on its own soil.

I doubt most of these protests will ultimately bring about any real change. Mubarak may even manage to hang onto power in Egypt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saudi Arabia I think is a long shot too. I doubt the US would allow too much turmoil to take place in Saudi Arabia.
I hope you are correct, because if it disrupts Saudi oil production, the world will be hurtin', and real fast.

Let's hope these people are smart enough to realize that letting the Muslim Brotherhood run their country would be just as bad as Mubarek. This doesn't appear to be a religious or cultural revolt to me. These people - Tunisia, Egypt, are ticked off because they're so poor and their rulers are so rich - this has been a long time coming in many of these places. About the stupidest thing they could do would be to destroy the chance of making money off of their natural resources.

I think all of this is fallout from the Global economic crisis which causes festering problems to come to a head everywhere- whether it's Egpyt, Greece, or anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you are correct, because if it disrupts Saudi oil production, the world will be hurtin', and real fast.
Especially since our oil plate is COMPLETELY full on our dining room table and our hands are tied behind our back.
Yeah, the chickens may be coming home to roost on all the politicans who opposed offshore drilling.

41CR3B4Y98L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That area could get VERY scary VERY fast. Do you guys see a ramped up exit strategy from Afganistan and Iraq due to the current climate there? :blowup:
Quite the opposite. I think that if tensions continue to rise in the area before we pull out, the exit strategy will be extended indefinitely. Whether the US gvmt admits it or not, we have a huge dog in that fight. Israel is a close ally and a huge target of every Muslim organization in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia and the UAE are close allies, and have a huge stake in our oil-based energy future. Whether or not we should be involved over there has very little to do with it...we will be involved in some manner.

Apparently, along with the threat of the Suez Canal being closed, there are two pretty important oil pipelines to the Med that may be affected by this.

Well looks like things are getting ugly in Egypt. Pro- and anti- goverment groups are starting to go at it. The military at this point has said they are staying out of it which is a good thing.

I wonder where the pro-Mubarak forces have been for the past week while all the protests have been going on? Strange that they just showed up today and now the fighting has began.

I don't know about the military staying out of it - the live feed a few hours ago showed quite a bit of shooting. DOn't know if it was just shooting in the air, or at people.

I think I heard there's five tanks in the square right now, and there was automatic weapon fire, so who knows...

I heard that the military was firing warning shots just to keep everybody somewhat in check (which obviously wasn't working). They were probably just firing warning shots to keep everybody fighting each other instead of focusing their attack on the military.

I think that Mubarak may have told some of the military to change into civilian clothes and start attacking the protesters. The foreign media has been reporting that on Day 3 of the protest, there was suddenly a counter-protest from pro-Mubarak forces. The pro-Mubarak people were attacking the foreign press, which could either indicate that Mubarak sent them or that the foreign press just wants to fight back against them with half-truths.

I wonder how common English speakers are over there. A lot of the protestors seemed to have a better command of the language than some folks around my neck of the woods do.

I wonder how common English speakers are over there. A lot of the protestors seemed to have a better command of the language than some folks around my neck of the woods do.
I would guess that stems from the fact that one of Egypt's main industries is tourism. There are probably a lot of multi-lingual people in Cairo and Giza.

Back