Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@leggo PE

I am headed to NYC to see billy joel at MSG in april!
currently planning a cancun trip in the next 6ish mo too!
drove with 3 doggos to Illinois for thanksgiving. Still recovering/trying to decorate the house. mom wants to go to alaska again, and i do too but the other couple they want to travel with wants to just book something that is planned out vs my style of itinerarying everything so we will see if i want to do the preplanned trip or not. bleh!!

and south africa trial 2 maybe 2023???????????????????

Attachments

• roadtrip doggos.jpg
    roadtrip doggos.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2
mom wants to go to alaska again, and i do too

I'm putting in for the lottery for Brooks Lodge for July 2023 and thinking about what else we might want to do next trip. What are you considering doing in AK next time?

2022 with be attempt #3 at planning a Disney world vacation. 2020 was cancelled because well it was 2020. 2021 The parks would have literally just reopened the week we had set aside for vacation and most of the extras we wanted to do weren't reopened yet. We have until sept 2022 to use the credit from the 2020 flights.

I had wanted 2022 to be a xmas break trip to newzealand/australia, but NZ borders are still closed to non-citizens. They are just now starting to open the borders to citizen living in Australia. Then later in 2022 to citizens living further away. so this trip is likely xmas 2023 or 2024 now.

Looks like another trip to California next week, then that's it for the year. January could be interesting if a few projects get awarded.
I'm always jealous of all the trips you go on (even if it's just for work)! I wish I could have a position similar to that. Maybe I'll look into detail positions or something...

Also, my 'go home for the holidays' trip was approved. Leaving work on 12/10 and returning on...1/3. Which seems wild to my private sector brain. I mean, I'll be working some of the time because I'm not an animal, but being able to technically say 'FU' and just turn off the computer is super freeing. Then the family trip to Hawaii is still on for 1/13-1/27...even though my mom might be having shoulder surgery? Idk. I'm going to wait to see if her doctor lets her go or not. If he doesn't, I might just go with my dad, and relax the whole time, or I might bank those days to use for the family Montauk trip in August.

I'm always jealous of all the trips you go on (even if it's just for work)! I wish I could have a position similar to that. Maybe I'll look into detail positions or something...

Some of my other friends and some family members are jealous too until they realize how much time is spent away from home. It's hard when you've got family and/or pets and don't live in a rental. The list of things to get done around the homestead is almost always growing. I've had previous coworkers quit because of the travel schedules.

There's times where I don't mind the travel as I've been lucky to see some great places where I'm not likely travel there otherwise (like Gitmo, Japan & Spain).

My current position is pretty good about limiting the travel. We're still small enough to not be contracted to help with multiple sites at once. So I'll enjoy the few trips that I'll get to go on while it lasts.

Last edited:
Some of my other friends and some family members are jealous too until they realize how much time is spent away from home. It's hard when you've got family and/or pets and don't live in a rental. The list of things to get done around the homestead is almost always growing. I've had previous coworkers quit because of the travel schedules.

There's times where I don't mind the travel as I've been lucky to see some great places where is not likely travel there otherwise (like Gitmo, Japan & Spain).

My current position is pretty good about limiting the travel. We're still small enough to not be contracted to help with multiple sites at once. So I'll enjoy the few trips that I'll get to go on while it lasts.
Lol, I have no home and only have a cat, who travels well in car and/or plane. As long as I'm paid to move around, I'll do it. But I know that's not a normal life view.

We're spending Christmas and the following week at the Pacific Ocean with the MIL. Rented an AirBnB right on the beach. Should be most excellent.

Cancelling my Hawaii trip (not sure if parents are or not). I just...don't feel comfortable traveling through 3-4 airports to get to the final destination, especially with an area that has done more severe lockdowns.

Kinda sad, but also kinda relieved.

A guy I work with, the only one in the office not vaccinated, had a Hawaii vacation planned for a couple weeks ago. Per requirements he got tested ~48 hours before flying. His asymptomatic son came back positive, thereby canceling their trip.

A guy I work with, the only one in the office not vaccinated, had a Hawaii vacation planned for a couple weeks ago. Per requirements he got tested ~48 hours before flying. His asymptomatic son came back positive, thereby canceling their trip.
Oh, wow. I'm glad Hawaii has those measures in place because I heard they've been getting hit hard. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to travel this year post-vaccine, and that was always my biggest fear when flying internationally - testing positive before the trip or before coming home (fortunately I always tested negative). While I'm grateful to have the privilege of travel, I very much look forward to when we can fly (or do anything) without worrying about COVID! :)

I thought I'd be too nervous to travel, but I've actually been several places since this all began. Nashville in oct 2020 for honeymoon #1, and Disney World for honeymoon #2 July 2021. Helped that they were basically during "low" points in the case graph, but we always took every precaution we could anyway!

I'm not that worried about travelling, since I have done it even during the pandemic last year, but travelling to Hawaii...which is already a fairly long trek from Indiana due to limited direct flights, just seems like I'm asking for some type of 'testing gone wrong' situation. I would much rather wait a little longer and be able to enjoy the beautiful islands without worrying about home/work/not getting back to continental US.

My wife keeps saying we should go to Hawaii, and she even has family there. But yeah, it’s a long trek from here in PA

Back