Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kauai is still on my list. I've been to Oahu, Maui, and the big Island Hawaii. Of the 3 the big island is probably my favorite. Maui = tourist trap. Oahu = field trip, just felt like Chicago beach line with better scenery and shorter buildings.

Going to Seattle in August.

We will be in the city for a few days but spend most of our time in the national parks in the western side of the state.

Car rentals are crazy expensive right now!!!!!
My dad was mentioning that. He already booked the car for next January and has said it's gone up a ton from when he first booked through Costco.

@snickerd3 my parents have gone to all the islands for longer periods (like 3-4 weeks at a time) and they said their favorite is Kauai. Their vacations are more relaxing at the timeshare/condo, enjoying the scenery, driving around the island trying good food.

LadySquare and I are still planning to go to the UK in late March 2022. Show tix already purchased...shopping for flights and hotel now. Just started at the new job so my PTO timer has restarted but hoping to do a whirlwind lap around the British Isles so this will be an extended trip. Also promised UK friends I'd stop by so there are some little villages to see, but we'll see how the Rona shakes out.

Edit: Planning to use the credit card points...so far the flight and hotel is free! Hooray!

Last edited:
A UK tour is on my list too, just a little further down!!! I've been to London and did the typical tourist stuff.

New Zealand/Australia is higher on the list. THe kiddos are almost about the right age and it will take up their entire xmas break. winter here is summer there. We just need to safe $$$ for airfare. Hopefully it comes down in price. I checked how much for 4 people and it was running almost $20K. But that could be COVID related.

Dad has already mentioned Panama Canal (partial) cruise in January 2023. This is a lot to take in. I'm super bad at longterm stuff. I might be dead in three months
Cannot die. You have a dependent now and he ain't got no thumbs.

On topic: Mostly I want to see Ireland (mostly west coast, Galway area) and Scotland (want to do some trail running in the parks).

Cannot die. You have a dependent now and he ain't got no thumbs.

On topic: Mostly I want to see Ireland (mostly west coast, Galway area) and Scotland (want to do some trail running in the parks).
My dependent was trying to eat me when I was sick this weekend (licking every so often). He can go pound sand. In his litter box.

If you go to Ireland/Scotland, hit me up! I can't do March of 2022, since dad has decided many vacation things must happen in January and February, but maybe later in the year? I might go back to Ireland in September to celebrate my birthday.

So, any thoughts on things to do in Alaska the first week of September? We're thinking about the typical tourist stuff like the train to Seward and a bus tour of Denali.
Both are good ideas, and look at other packages that the Alaska Rail Road (AKRR) offers. I was only up there for work, and needed the AKRR so I learned a decent amount about it.

Make sure you visit Snow City Cafe and Gwennie's. Honestly, I don't remember any bad food in Anchorage. I recently listened to a podcast that had the author of a book about the earthquake in 1969. If (when) I go back up there checking out some of the earthquake stuff (parks, museum) will be on my list.

With the pandemic showing signs of receding, there's some travel deals to be had out there.

I convinced the wife to book a trip to Alaska for the week of Labor Day. Delta started a nonstop from Detroit to Anchorage this summer, and first class roundtrip was $720 which seems like a steal for 6 hour flight. I ended up using Delta miles to book for 54,000 miles each ticket.

So, any thoughts on things to do in Alaska the first week of September? We're thinking about the typical tourist stuff like the train to Seward and a bus tour of Denali.
The colors might be starting then in certain areas. I'd highly recommend the bus tour into Denali and hope the weather holds. The train is good, I'd add in a glacier / fjord tour out of Seward or Whittier.

If you feel like driving a bit, take a drive down the Denali Highway to enjoy nature (it's a dirt road, so wash the rental before returning).

While in Seward, head over to Exit Glacier and take a stroll through the retreat line.

Oh, and keep us informed to when you'll be up this way, maybe have a quick meetup if I'm not in the field.

While in Seward, head over to Exit Glacier and take a stroll through the retreat line.
We were up there in 2014, and hooked up with the Exit Glacier guides. Check them out if you want some ice climbing, and heli tours. If you get to know them, you'll find out that boiling spent bio-diesel mixes with glacial run-off and Jamison for a pretty wicked river party.

we are still debating doing the disney/universal trip that was cancelled in 2020 or wait until next summer when more stuff "should" be back to normal...our airfare credits are good through the end of 2022. if we don't do FL, then we will likely go back to Branson, MO for some lake time, silver dollar city, and whatever other shows are actually restarted. or maybe a just a Chicago trip and hit downtown sights. Gov. stated full reopening possible by mid-late june.

PS, maybe this was mentioned here before, but if not... a friend have me a really good tip for a cheaper deal on a rental car. He recommended Turo, which is basically the Airbnb of rental cars, as he put it. I could find some significantly cheaper deals for longer term renting (a week plus) than I could via the traditional means.

Trip home via car is scheduled June to July.

Trip home via plane (with cat) is scheduled for August. Let's see how traumatized both of us are after that.

Hawaii is still on for January. I'm waiting to see what happens for Feb. Dad wants to do Florida, but he might push it to March or April (which I would be fine with, tbh, since it means my vacations won't be so close together).

PS, maybe this was mentioned here before, but if not... a friend have me a really good tip for a cheaper deal on a rental car. He recommended Turo, which is basically the Airbnb of rental cars, as he put it. I could find some significantly cheaper deals for longer term renting (a week plus) than I could via the traditional means.
I’ve used it. For about the same cost to rent some econo-box at your typical airport car rental place, I was able to get a Tesla.

I looked at Turo today for an upcoming visit to Seattle / Tacoma. Pricing was on par with the major rental companies and couldn't get a vehicle to meet the trip needs. I'll keep an eye on it for future trips though.

And my Fairbanks cannonball run has been delayed until Sunday the 16th. Contractor doesn't have the tank drained yet.

We're planning on a 1 week visit to AK and Fairbanks later in June, then visiting family in Colorado. Both places are pretty hot for COVID right now so I'm hoping (counting on) things getting under control by the time we travel, but we're all vaccinated and my parents aren't doing particularly well so we need to take this chance to see them while we still can.

Back