Transportation Vs Geotechnical exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satyara

Reaction score
Hi, I have little experience in highway, traffic, geotech, bridge, drainage areas for cumulative of 4 years. I got accepted for PE exam and i need to register before sep10th. I am in confused state to register for which depth part, Transportation or geotechnical. Since i have not done much in any of the fields. I have not started preparation yet. I am taking time off for a month to prepare for the exam. Can someone suggest me which will be better or best one to choose.

Thanks & Regards.

Hi, I have little experience in highway, traffic, geotech, bridge, drainage areas for cumulative of 4 years. I got accepted for PE exam and i need to register before sep10th. I am in confused state to register for which depth part, Transportation or geotechnical. Since i have not done much in any of the fields. I have not started preparation yet. I am taking time off for a month to prepare for the exam. Can someone suggest me which will be better or best one to choose.Thanks & Regards.
Transpo is a good depth exam if you love calculus and trigonometry since they are the basis of solving horizontal and vertical curve problems. This also helps with the surveying exam if you're taking the PE in California. Capacity problems are straight-forward as long as you're using the proper equation for the type of roadway in question.

Geotech is very conceptual and I strongly believe that if you don't have any practical geotech engineering experience, just courses in school, then this exam would be challenging.

Another mathematically focused depth exam is water resources and environmental, but this more conceptual than transpo but not as much as geotech.

Good luck!

Back