Transmission Line - power sent. (Shorebrook PE Exam Question 30)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Typically when you are asked to calculate for the max power that can be sent on a transmission line given Vs, Vr, and theta, this should really be the 3-phase power, right?

The reason I ask is that in Shorebrook PE Power Exam question 30, the solution only uses the 1-phase power.

Generally speaking, in a transmission line, max power should really be the 3-phase power, correct? So: Pmax, line 3-ph = 3 * (Vs * Vr / X) * sin(theta)

Whenever I am asked to calculate the max power possible sent in synchronous generators, it usually refers to the 3-phase max power. So I would think the same concept applies to transmission lines...

Thanks for any input on this!

Shorebrook PE Exam Question 30.jpg

Shorebrook PE Exam Solution 30.jpg

If you are using L-L voltages, you don't need to multiply by 3. If you are using phase voltages, you will need to multiply by 3.

I have a concern with this problem, though. The problem was asking the "MAXIMUM" power transmitted. should we just use Pmax=(Vs)(Vr)/X ,where phase angle should be 90 degrees during maximum power?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a concern with this problem, though. The problem was asking the "MAXIMUM" power transmitted. should we just use Pmax=(Vs)(Vr)/X ,where phase angle should be 90 degrees during maximum power?
I get what you're saying. However, the question essentially asks what is the maximum power that can be transmitted at 30°.

You are correct though that the most amount of power is transmitted when the phase angle is 90°.

Back