Transferring US PE license to Canada

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanHalen

Reaction score
There is a remote possibility I may go work for a consultant that has offices both in the U.S. and also Canada. Would a PE license in the U.S. transfer to Canada and how would you go about doing it?

I don't know all the details (not a P. Eng myself), but it's not a straight transfer.

I know the P. Eng test is law and ethics based, not technically based.

Can't recall if you're required to have P. Engs as your references to apply, or if I'm just mixing that up with the SE.

In short, yes you can.

You can get a temporary P.Eng. license in a few Provinces with simply a PE in the US.

For a full license (or for comity with other Provinces), you will need to take their ethics exam though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a remote possibility I may go work for a consultant that has offices both in the U.S. and also Canada. Would a PE license in the U.S. transfer to Canada and how would you go about doing it?
a69a77e414bba5dbb8176e994de627a4.jpg

In short, yes you can.

You can get a temporary P.Eng. license in a few Provinces with simply a PE in the US.

For a full license (or for comity with other Provinces), you will need to take their ethics exam though.
I suppose their ethics exam is somewhat similar to the ethics part on the FE exam?

First and foremost, you would be looking at licensing is a specific province, not the whole country.

It's kind of crazy to me how their PE process works. The PE process here in the US is much more stringent than what I've read in Ontario, for example.
A Canadian PE is almost guaranteed not to meet the requirements in the US. Their test doesn't count, they accept 3-yr bachelor's degrees, etc.

Their fee system is really crazy. EIT's pay $101.70 PER YEAR in addition to the application fee. You pay this for the 4 yrs of work experience you have to have.
Then, the PE application costs $406.80, the exam costs $225.50.
And they have a 1-time admin fee of $700.
Then they have a $360 fee for submission of an engineering report.
Then the final registration/licensing fee is $339.
On top of that, pay annual dues of $299.45.
So, just to get licensed, it costs you upwards of $2737.55 CAD (2162.66 USD).
And you're paying that $299.45 PER YEAR afterwards.
I can get licensed in almost half the US for that much money and it lasts 2 yrs.

Amazingly, a temporary license is $881.40 CN ($698.89 US), and that's only valid for a year.

It's almost like it's a scam...

Oh, and you are not allowed to call yourself an engineer without the license. You can call yourself a "Graduate of Engineering."

Last edited:
I agree that this is a scam and it costs ton on money.

Unfortunately it's the game you need to play if you want to do work up there. I've been doing several jobs a year up north for my company. It more than pays for the fees but it is simply more like a being a part of a trade organization rather than a licensure board.

Don't get me started on Ontario It took them 8 months to approve my application via comity with another province!

I agree that this is a scam and it costs ton on money.

Unfortunately it's the game you need to play if you want to do work up there. I've been doing several jobs a year up north for my company. It more than pays for the fees but it is simply more like a being a part of a trade organization rather than a licensure board.

Don't get me started on Ontario It took them 8 months to approve my application via comity with another province!
That sucks. I am considering getting a temporary license. I would hope it would be faster.

Back