Toyota 4Runner Price

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
Anyone here recently purchased a 4runner SR5 4x4? I'm trying to figure out the best possible price. Truecar.com is helpful, but first hand advice is best.

Thx

Have you tried edmunds.com?

I don't have any idea about a 4Runner, but for anything else they seem reasonable...

I've been doing research on the same model as well. We're thinking about getting one too so let me know if you end up buying one. My parents bought me a brand new one in 1999 (I gave it back to them when I was in college and bought a commuter) but it still runs awesome and has over 200K miles. The new models are pretty sweet though.

The only problem with 4Runners and Tacomas is that Toyota never offers incentives on these models. I can only recall one time when I've seen incentives for Tacomas, but never on the 4Runner.

The 4 runner is hard to find at a bargain. Usually you'll pay full price for one; whatever that is used or new. Toyota doesn't offer incentives because they don't have to for the 4 runner; much like there are no incentives for Corvettes.

I'm working with truecar.com and cars direct. I hope to buy in two weeks depending on what I can get for our 09 outback on trade. It's only got 21.5k miles, but we'll see this Friday when we head to the dealer.

Have you considered a car buying program such as the ones offered by Costco or American Express? They are supposed to take the haggling/negotiating out of the process by contacting dealers for the best price. I look forward to haggling with a car salesman but I'll definitely look into these programs when the time comes as well.

So we picked one up yesterday. Paid $32,000 for a 2011 SR5 with $36,108 sticker price. Wasn't plannning on buying one yesterday but my wife sent them a low ball offer and they accepted.

We initially tried the Costco price which came back at $33,500ish. Dealer says they lost $1,500 on the car which normally I wouldn't believe but it looks like the truth after looking on truecar again. We had pre-approved financing with the lowest rate from our credit union (3.5%). They said they would try Toyota and we ended up with the lowest rate from them (3.25%). My wife did all the negotiating via phone or email. I only went along to say NO to the warranties.

http://www.toyotaofolympia.com/olympia-new-cars/detail/2011-Toyota-4Runner-4WD-4dr-V6-SR5/712/JTEBU5JR8B5069396/~/VehicleTypeID_~Model_~ModelActual_~ExteriorColor_/3

Last edited by a moderator:
So we picked one up yesterday. Paid $32,000 for a 2011 SR5 with $36,108 sticker price. Wasn't plannning on buying one yesterday but my wife sent them a low ball offer and they accepted.

We initially tried the Costco price which came back at $33,500ish. Dealer says they lost $1,500 on the car which normally I wouldn't believe but it looks like the truth after looking on truecar again. We had pre-approved financing with the lowest rate from our credit union (3.5%). They said they would try Toyota and we ended up with the lowest rate from them (3.25%). My wife did all the negotiating via phone or email. I only went along to say NO to the warranties.

http://www.toyotaofo...xteriorColor_/3

That's great. We got one for $33,400 which was as low as I could get any of the 4 dealers. Ours is SR5 4x4 with 3rd row, moonroof, backup camera etc. They didn't have any basic trucks without the extra goodies in Colorado. Did you get 3rd row in 4x4 for that price? And does that include tax?

Sounds like ours is exactly the same, minus the 3rd row seat. The only notable option we have other than the standard ones and the ones you list above might be power front seats. It was the same thing in Olympia, WA, all of the trucks had a lot of extra options already. The color was extra too (Blizzard White) not so much by choice but because that's all they had for the SR5. It does look nice though. It was 32K + tax (around 10%). Looks like you got a good price too when looking at the truecar website.

I didn't really care either way on the 3rd row seat, but do you like it?

Sounds like ours is exactly the same, minus the 3rd row seat. The only notable option we have other than the standard ones and the ones you list above might be power front seats. It was the same thing in Olympia, WA, all of the trucks had a lot of extra options already. The color was extra too (Blizzard White) not so much by choice but because that's all they had for the SR5. It does look nice though. It was 32K + tax (around 10%). Looks like you got a good price too when looking at the truecar website.

I didn't really care either way on the 3rd row seat, but do you like it?
We also got the power seat.

I needed the 3rd row seat. And yes, I do like it. We used it a bit last weekend during a trip from Breckenridge, CO to Jackson, WY. While visiting friends, we were able to fit 4 adults and two children. The seats are small (although bigger than my 01 Tacoma w/ extended cab), but they are good enough to avoid a second vehicle on a short trip out to dinner. BTW, we averaged 22.5 mpg on the 1100 mile trip with 2 adults, a dog and a toddler in the car the entire time.

The 3rd row added ~$800, but you still got a smoking deal. Our tax rate is only 3.025% here. Did you have a trade that allowed them to drop the price so much? Wish we got the same deal you were able to negotiate. I worked for over 3 weeks and felt I got the best deal I could.

Were you at all concerned about possible radiation in the vehicle from the crisis last spring? The mfg. plant is a ways away from the Fukushima (spelling ?) power plant, and it's doubtful there is any chance, but it played into my considerations.

Thanks for the posts, although knowing what you paid, leaves me feeling like I left $600 on the table - ****!

I figured the power seat might be pretty standard now.

We don't have kids yet, so that's why the 3rd row seat wasn't too big of a deal. I did think it was an awfully tight fit but can see where it might come in handy someday.

Yeah, I was definitely happy with the deal. Best part was that my wife did all of the work. We didn't trade any of our vehicles in, but our salesman did say they had a lot of incentive from the owner to push 2011s out last weekend in prepartion for the 2012s. Again, normally I don't believe that kind of stuff but all the staff at the dealership was talking about it and saying how we got a steal. I'd been looking on autotrader at 4Runners, F150s and Tacomas for quite a while but when we actually decided we might want a 4X4 before winter it took us about a week to find the deal. We didn't shop the price or anything because we actually liked the salesman at this dealership.

Radiation never even crossed my mind.

You're welcome. Thanks to you too. $600 is $600 but not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Easy for me to say because I would probably be just a little upset if I was in your spot - even if there's no reason to be. I've only driven the rig about 5 minutes total (my wife will use it mainly and I'm still driving around my piece of crap car until I switch over to her civic) so I'm looking forward to getting in it and figuring out all the cool stuff. Enjoy!

Back