Top Mobile Providers by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dothracki PE

Where is my mind?
Reaction score
This is a few years old, but interesting. Note that this map is based on amount of times the company's websites were viewed in each state, not actual phone user data. I wonder what this looks like now with T-mobile and Sprint merged and a lot of smaller providers that share networks with larger providers popping up. https://www.webfx.com/blog/internet/top-mobile-data-providers-state-by-state/

Screenshot_1.png

I always thought T Mobile was for people with a credit score of around 12?  

I always thought T Mobile was for people with a credit score of around 12?  
i think that is how they started out.  IL is definitely not a sprint state.  Att or verizon.  Tmobile is only a chicago thing.  maybe people in IL looked up sprint to see what it was, but no one made the switch

I have an Atlanta number, but my phone # was transferred to the work bill and for some reason it based out of Texas, but as a bonus I get political texts from GA, TX, and CO :(  

In a large part of Maine, only US Cellular works.

I have AT&T because where I went to school in VT, it was the only thing that worked lol

Last edited by a moderator:
* just making a joke ;)  - but I always correlate T Mobile and the non contract phones they used to sell at Wal mart way back in the day

Having Verizon as the main service in Alaska is the largest joke of all. They've only really been in Alaska since 2012 with limited service. It's grown since then, but only on the road system.

Get off the road system and it'll be GCI as your primary cell provider. AT&T is a close second.

As much as I used to travel for work, the guys that had Verizon had worse coverage in the states marked Verizon. I usually did alright with AT&T which is my primary provider. I've got a Visible hotspot for work right now in CO (Verizon towers) and it's not going to survive returning to Alaska with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a large part of Maine, only US Cellular works.

I have AT&T because where I went to school in VT, it was the only thing that worked lol
US Cellular should be honest and call themselves "A small part of the US, Cellular". Most of my family is in Maine. I was searching for a plan where I could get a new phone for free, my brother suggested USC. They wouldn't let me be a customer because I live in Colorado...

None of the above. We switched over to Spectrum...yes, the cable guys. They use the same network as Verizon so coverage is good. They’re unlimited plan was significantly lower than Verizon’s and they don’t nickel and dime you to death with fees.

Was even happier to be done with Verizon after they tried to charge us $400 in early termination fees when we switched. Uhhh, yeah, we’d been with Verizon for like 15 years.

Boo. I'm researching plans with the assumption I will need to update my $56/5 GB a month Verizon plan to unlimited in the near future. 

image.png

Can they do it because the phone defaults to wifi whenever possible?

We already had Spectrum for our internet so I don’t even think of the $20 discount. TBH, I’m not sure if it defaults to WiFi or not. I know using the phones at home sounds exactly the same as it did before...not sure if it’s doing it with cell or WiFi. If I’m out and about, sometimes I will get a notification pop up saying “hey there’s this WiFi available”. It I don’t have to connect to it and it keeps working just fine on cell. Not sure if that is a Spectrum thing or just an iPhone thing.

I'm a rebel and use Google Fi. I get T-mo, Sprint, and USC all in one convenient package.

I'm a rebel and use Google Fi. I get T-mo, Sprint, and USC all in one convenient package.
Boyfriend has GoogleFI.

I'm considering switching because my phone sucks and so does AT&T.

I've got a microspike hole in the phone.

and the waterproof rating and camera of the pixel 5 is alluring 

This is the worst problem.
It's been there almost 2 years *shrugs*

Boyfriend had a pixel. But it wasn't charging well. So he replaced it with one of the Motos since the Pixel that was available wasn't waterproof (he fishes). And all he does it complain about it. 

I'm trailer trash:  have a Wal-mart Straight Talk prepaid phone.  Because it uses Verizon's network for about half the price.  Before I switched to Straight Talk I used T-mobile, but when I moved out to the boonies the T-mobile phone had no service.

I'm trailer trash:  have a Wal-mart Straight Talk prepaid phone.  Because it uses Verizon's network for about half the price.  Before I switched to Straight Talk I used T-mobile, but when I moved out to the boonies the T-mobile phone had no service.
I use the ATT version of Straight Talk, the $45/mo unlimited whatever plan.  Zero issues.  I live in a Verizon dead spot.  You will lose coverage as soon as you drive into my subdivision, and if you're lucky, get 1 bar service in my house.  4-5 bars with Straight Talk/ATT.

That's what our unlimited is with Spectrum...$45 per line. When I looked at going to unlimited at Verizon it was quite a bit more because we only had two lines at the time, although now we are up to three. Verizon changes the price based on how many lines you have. When I read the fine print on their website at the time, their "low low unlimited price" was based on something ridiculous like 6 or 7 phones.

Back