~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
Seeing as the temp with wind chill never got above -15 F yesterday, and it's straight up -16 F here this morning, a bitch about the weather thread seemed appropriate. I love a nice cold, crisp morning and think snow is great, but this is ridiculous. Not to mention painful and potentially dangerous. My hair froze almost instantly coming out of the gym last night.

Bitter Cold, Blowing Snow Hit NortheastBy WILLIAM KATES

AP

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (March 7) - Fierce wind and biting cold kept youngsters home from school Tuesday in upstate New York and authorities warned against perilous driving conditions already blamed for at least five deaths.

The National Weather Service posted a wind chill advisory for northern New York and Vermont, saying the temperature and wind could make it feel like 35 degrees below zero into Tuesday afternoon.

The National Weather Service posted a wind chill advisory for northern New York and Vermont, saying the temperature and wind could make it feel like 35 degrees below zero into Tuesday afternoon.

In those conditions, exposed skin can be frostbitten within 15 minutes or less, the weather service warned.

"It's the wind. It's so cold it hurts. You see the sun shining and it doesn't look like a bad day but then as you're walking you get hit with this blast and you can't breathe," said Ben Nestor, 17, who was huddled with four friends waiting for a bus in downtown Syracuse.

"We came downtown to eat lunch. I wished we had stayed home. My legs are frozen," he said.

By late morning, the temperature at the northern New York city of Massena was 11 below zero and the wind chill was 34 below, the weather service said. Burlington, Vt., had a temperature of 5 below and a wind chill down to minus 32.

In New Hampshire, National Weather Service meteorologist Bob Marine said nearly all the state would have near-record cold temperatures on Tuesday. At the summit of Mount Washington, where temperatures bottomed out at 37 degrees below zero Tuesday morning, weather observers were throwing pots of boiling water in the air to make snow.

"When it's this cold, it immediately freezes into a cloud of snow," observer Jim Salge said.

Schools canceled classes across New York state from Buffalo to Utica, including Rochester and Syracuse, and other districts delayed the start of classes.

For some areas, it was the second day of hazardous driving conditions caused by blowing snow. On Monday, sections of Interstate 490 in Rochester and Interstate 81 along the eastern edge of Lake Ontario were closed because of accidents blamed on whiteout conditions. Some roads in central New York remain closed Tuesday morning.

Officials in Seneca County, in the Finger Lakes region, issued an emergency declaration and prohibited unnecessary travel.

Crashes Monday killed a 17-year-old driver from Chittenango, a 47-year-old man from Amboy whose vehicle hit a jackknifed tractor-trailer, and two people involved in eight-vehicle accident on the New York State Thruway near Canajoharie. Another woman who stopped in a whiteout and got out of her parked car Monday was killed by a tractor-trailer, authorities said.

"The bad spots sneak up on you," said Gina Calabresee, of Elbridge, 10 miles west of Syracuse.

"You're driving along and the road is clear and then suddenly the road is packed snow, the wind is pushing your car around and you can't see past the front end," she said. "I have two friends who put their cars in ditches."

The temp here in Louisville is supposed to be above 50 for the next week and even creep above 60 for a couple days. Looks like spring might be creeping in early.

It is seriously cold today. But it feels warmer than yesterday without the wind blowing. I'm still going to run this afternoon. I'll be the state puff marshmallow running down the road with 10 layers on!

marchmellow.gif

This single digit crap is for the birds. Some consolation is that we are in March so it typically doesn't last long. They are calling for much warmer temps this weekend. I'm tired of being cooped up inside due tot he cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Totally. It was mild enough and the roads clear enough of ice last week I contemplated going for a bike ride. I was starting to get a little spring fever. Then it just got frosty for no good reason.

I thought we were out of it too. It's not that cold here, but its pelting down snow. Supposed to have 4-6" by this evening.

last night I was watching the weather channel and saw it was 9 degrees in Boston.

now I know why we have so many **** carpet baggin yankees down here in the south.

Our neighborhood pool is going to open at the end of next month!

prayers sent for our northern friends

:beerchug:

last night I was watching the weather channel and saw it was 9 degrees in Boston.
9's nothin. That'd be warm in a lotta areas. I'd take 9.

The first 35-40 degree day here, you'll see people outside in shorts and shirt sleeves.

We've got a neighborhood swimming hole that never really got warm enough to swim in all summer last year. It was good for a quick dip to cool off on the way back from a run, but after a couple minutes that thin was chilllllly.

My car said -11 on the way in this morning. :beerchug:

thats a good album (so is the newer one) I know your an MLB XM fan, but sirius has a "Margaritaville channel" its about 60% buffett music.

I sold the jeep a few months ago, but last summer I was lucky enough to have two road trips to florida with top down, doors off.

Nothing like a 7 hour road trip to the beach with buffett blasting.

Spring is so going to suck this year without the Jeep :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
****. Maybe when the 2 satellite radio companies merge I'll get that one. I just checked the website and it looks pretty sweet. XM used to have deals with several artists to have their own pseudo-stations but they dumped that recently. Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, not really folks I listened to much.

Also, why the hell is Mr. Sulu from Star Trek the guest host on Stern this week? That seems outta left field. I just saw that on the Sirius site.

Its suppose to get near 50 in the next week here in Minnesota... how exciting, time to break out the shorts and sandals!

We did get 2' of snow recently (two storm, 1' each) and this is less than a week... it was fun... but it will be all melting away soon!

I do love my Sirius radio, it will be intersting to see what happens when the two merge... I just hope they keep the free subscription on my radio active.. I am so adicited now I would have to sign up.

Well, apparently our interstate is closed between here and my house so I'm hoping they get it cleaned up before 4:00.

It warmed up to 15 degrees by 1pm. I only needed 2 layers on my run. :party-smiley-048:

run.gif

Back