The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to run competitively, but then went to grad school and developed other interests and anxiety. Now I run casually 4-5 times a week and lift weights. We are still WFH for a few weeks and I have really been enjoying getting out in the middle of the day for some sunshine.

Every now and then I think about entering a race again, though it would definitely be a blow to the ego to see my new times...

I'm training for a half but it's draining me mentally and I'm not enjoying it like I have in the past. I think part of it is I am not running at the same level I was five years ago and need to scale my training accordingly. The other is that the group I'm running with has us running allllll along county roads (even though there are parks in the town I live in that we could run instead). So either the course is (A) flat and boring or (B) hilly as ****. I passed like three different kinds of roadkill last Saturday.

I used to run competitively, but then went to grad school and developed other interests and anxiety. Now I run casually 4-5 times a week and lift weights. We are still WFH for a few weeks and I have really been enjoying getting out in the middle of the day for some sunshine.

Every now and then I think about entering a race again, though it would definitely be a blow to the ego to see my new times...
If you start slow, then there's only one way to go. lol I'm not very fast but I enjoy attending an organized race and running with other people who think getting up early and sweating for a couple of hours is a good idea.

I think minisnick is kicking himself. The warmup at the first track practice was a 2-mile run.
Little robot starts her first track practice in 2 weeks. She's gone on long walks with me but never a sizeable run. We will start doing that together this weekend. How old is minisnick? Middle school age? Mine is still in elementary school, so I wonder what their warm up will be.

Little robot starts her first track practice in 2 weeks. She's gone on long walks with me but never a sizeable run. We will start doing that together this weekend. How old is minisnick? Middle school age? Mine is still in elementary school, so I wonder what their warm up will be.
6th grade (middle school) He said he was interested in long and short distance running as opposed to the throwing, jumping, or hurdle type events. We will see where he ends up. I told him to not rule things out too soon.

His only prep was gym class and sports. He has been running 1-2 miles in gym every other day on their fitness days.

Do
Anticlockwise! Just cuz.
Done and done! Ankle still angry but oh well.

Edit: I should probably add more detail to make this post semi-interesting/on-topic. Shorter loop today, 3.18mi at 9:19/mi pace. I never claimed to be fast...I just shuffle along at my own pace.

Last edited:
Do

Done and done! Ankle still angry but oh well.

Edit: I should probably add more detail to make this post semi-interesting/on-topic. Shorter loop today, 3.18mi at 9:19/mi pace. I never claimed to be fast...I just shuffle along at my own pace.
That's close to my pace!

::shuffle high five::

And hope your ankle is feeling better!

I don't want to start the habit of quitting, but I don't think I should start my next 10-miler. I was just way too busy to train properly. I know I can run about 7 miles without any issues. I think I will struggle to finish 10 miles comfortably. I don't know. I can't decide. The race is in 2 weeks.

I don't want to start the habit of quitting, but I don't think I should start my next 10-miler. I was just way too busy to train properly. I know I can run about 7 miles without any issues. I think I will struggle to finish 10 miles comfortably. I don't know. I can't decide. The race is in 2 weeks.
Ouch, 7 to 10 is a big jump...be careful! @civilrobot PE etc etc are you on the Strava??

6th grade (middle school) He said he was interested in long and short distance running as opposed to the throwing, jumping, or hurdle type events. We will see where he ends up. I told him to not rule things out too soon.
end of season update: he is sort of kicking himself for not at least trying hurdles or high jump, but he ran the 400m, 800m, and was an alternate for the 4x400 relay. For the 6/7 grade boys by mid session his times were regularly putting him as the second fastest for his events on his team. Which translated to 3rd to 5th placing for the 800 and 4th-6th for the 400 at meets. He qualified for 2 invitationals, Conference, and Sectionals, but not state.

He wants to keep up his running, because he is determined to qualify for state next year. So it looks like I will have to start learning too for a running partner. Sunday snickette and I walked 1.2 miles while minisnick ran 2.4 in the same time. One "lap" of our neighborhood is 0.6 miles. On non-baseball days I will work my way up to a run.

So I ran the 10-miler with like hardly any training...and it was fine. Don't try this at home, kids.

I finished 10 minutes slower than I did back in April... not bad for someone who didn't train. And I went back and checked...the longest run I completed before this race was actually 6 miles and it was on the treadmill. You've gotta be a little crazy to do things like this. lol

So I ran the 10-miler with like hardly any training...and it was fine. Don't try this at home, kids.

I finished 10 minutes slower than I did back in April... not bad for someone who didn't train. And I went back and checked...the longest run I completed before this race was actually 6 miles and it was on the treadmill. You've gotta be a little crazy to do things like this. lol
I never once thought you were not NOT crazy? Haha!

Ok, so today do I do 4 miles fast or 7 miles medium? Starting a Garmin built-in training plan on Tuesday but didn't want to blow myself up today. I'll flip a coin.

Back