The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for me, I completed the virtual half marathon yesterday! It was by far my least speedy half time ever, but I attribute that mostly to my complete lack of training, and a bit to the lack of adrenaline I got for the virtual aspect of it when compared to the vibe I always feel in in-person races. But, I did prove to myself that I can run 8-10 miles without real significant slowdowns, which is cool!
That's amazing! It takes a lot of determination and discipline to run a race without the adrenaline pumping pomp and circumstance. Great job!!

You know what my sinuses love? The cool dry air when I run. /s

No. No, my sinuses do not love it. In fact, it's the one drawback to running when the temperatures cool down. I'm always greeted with a mild headache and a runny nose after every run.

On the plus side, I've lost another 3 lbs and I shaved another minute off of my average pace. I'm almost in pre-husband/pre-baby shape. So close.

That's awesome @csb! I have my second and final race for the Fall season on Saturday. I missed racing too and I thought the race organizers did a good job at my 10 mile race.

Did you hear that the Marine Corps Marathon in-person race was cancelled? They are moving to virtual or deferral. I feel so bad for those runners.

That's awesome @csb! I have my second and final race for the Fall season on Saturday. I missed racing too and I thought the race organizers did a good job at my 10 mile race.

Did you hear that the Marine Corps Marathon in-person race was cancelled? They are moving to virtual or deferral. I feel so bad for those runners.
Once upon a time, I had my first ever marathon canceled because of a blizzard. It was 18 weeks of training seemingly down the drain. I was crushed in a way I didn't expect to be- total grief. We ran a different marathon two weeks later, but it didn't feel the same. I feel for those runners totally and completely.

Once upon a time, I had my first ever marathon canceled because of a blizzard. It was 18 weeks of training seemingly down the drain. I was crushed in a way I didn't expect to be- total grief. We ran a different marathon two weeks later, but it didn't feel the same. I feel for those runners totally and completely.
Yup! You captured the sentiment. That's a lot of time, effort, and energy invested in something that will not be realized. It's really sad. I remember going to NYC to see my friend run the NYC marathon back in 2012 when it was cancelled sort of last minute due to the storm damage in Long Island. The race starts in Long Island and NYRR heavily relies on the infrastructure to pretty much corral the runners until the start. So you had a bunch of people in the city from different states and countries running around aimlessly on marathon day. They didn't know what else to do.

My friend lives in the city so we just tried to cheer her up and keep her busy, the day of.

Ran 5 late miles on Sunday. I started way too late. It was hot, and I knew it would suck. I stayed up way too late the night before and I paid the price.

I really like waking up early to run so I ran 3 sweaty miles this morning around 6:30. I like having the road to myself.

@civilrobot PE etc etc you are an inspiration!

Ughhhh...I'm feeling lazy but I always feel better *after* I run. Do I haaaave to run today? Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!
Yes. Yes you do. lol Just go. I always think about it this way. 30 minutes is just one episode of Paw Patrol. An hour? I could wash a load of clothes in more than an hour. It's nothing.

Yes. Yes you do. lol Just go. I always think about it this way. 30 minutes is just one episode of Paw Patrol. An hour? I could wash a load of clothes in more than an hour. It's nothing.
You are hired as my fitness trainer / motivational speaker / life coach (?).

Edit: On topic, weather is getting cooler so I get to wear my comfy compression/wool stuff. I always feel faster/race-mode-ish like "hey, I'm a exercise person today."

I'm setting up next year's race schedule.

I'm thinking a half and a 10-miler in the spring. And at least a half in the Fall. I want to run 2 races in the Fall. Not sure what and where.

Spring 2022

2 - Ten milers

I'm in training for the first 10-miler... and that's been going better than expected. I already knew this, but running feels so much better when you've dropped some pounds. Our local spring half marathons are kinda lame. Need something close but spicy and fun!

Summer 2022 - I'm gonna stop being a lazy punk and I'm going to run in the neighborhood 10k on July 4th.

Back