The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is this recipe thread or baking goods thread?
Been awhile since I have checked out this forum.
Chicken broth with glass noodles for dinner.

Nice. I definitely prefer eggplant with skin on for baked, fried, or in a soup broth.
Ever tried baking whole eggplant and then peel skin off? Its naturally sweet and flavorful with no seasoning.

Tomorrow I might make some "banh bao" buns. Its almost like pizza dough, but we use milk instead of water, knead the dough to desired shape, stuff with sauteed ground pork and boiled egg and steam for about 10 mins. Its a great vietnamese traditional snack.
banhbao.jpg

Nice. I definitely prefer eggplant with skin on for baked, fried, or in a soup broth.
Ever tried baking whole eggplant and then peel skin off? Its naturally sweet and flavorful with no seasoning.
Nope. Like all veggies, I need to slather in anchovy butter to make it palatable.

I have frozen bao buns in the freezer from the Asian market, but I ruined the last batch because I only have a metal steamer tray and they stuck to the bottom :(

Ginger dill salmon w/ citrus salad and avocado. Pretty good! Cooked the salmon at 325 degrees for 15 min, probably could have cut it to 12 min max, but it was still so buttery and soft. Yum!

Attachments

• 0D0FB15A-864F-421B-AEE0-FD546C5FED4A.jpeg
    0D0FB15A-864F-421B-AEE0-FD546C5FED4A.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
Tomato pie (really more of a cobbler, as there’s no bottom crust) with buttermilk bleu cheese biscuits! Recipe is from Joy the Baker. Very yummy, but next time I’ll double it for more leftovers.

A1A8522C-BA8D-4F75-9B11-23A7500908A0.jpeg

I roasted four lbs of tomatoes down into about two cups of tomato-caper spread. Was it worth it? Possibly. I’m too tired to make crostini so I’ll just have to eat it with a spoon.

This might count as baking, but I’m sticking it here because it also involves cooking… Tonight’s main part of dinner:

F0805045-D1F3-459A-ACAD-045C20F606BA.jpeg
The picture doesn’t quite do it justice, but it was delicious! It’s Melissa Clark’s Tomato Crostata with Honey-Thyme glaze. I served it alongside Smitten Kitchen’s avocado cucumber salad. Super duper tasty combo.

Non baker ova hea (measuring things intimidates me, just a regular cook), I made some cast iron pizza. Pretty happy with the crust n crumb n bublz.

51401411272_8998ebbfaf.jpg

Does anyone here make their own yogurt? I’m currently attempting to!

I started the process on Sunday, and wasn’t seeing the desired results until this morning. I think I didn’t have the starter and milk warm enough in the original attempt to get it to thicken. Last night, I put it in the oven (gas, with pilot light) and a towel wrapped around it, and this morning, it had thickened! Now my yogurt is chilling in the fridge, waiting to be strained into Greek yogurt (which is our household’s preference). My hope is at this point that it’s not too sour for us to want to eat! Ha!

Back