The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was actually dinner for 8 from last weekend. Two lasagnas (one veggie and one sausage) plus a Caesar salad (not pictured):

C5FADFC2-EA79-4D16-A4BD-765B1BF817E0.jpeg

Though they both look basically identical from the top, if memory serves, the veggie one is on the right and had cremini mushrooms, spinach, cherry bomb peppers, and onion. The meat one had hot Italian sausage, spinach, cherry bomb peppers, and onion. Yum!

Made a super easy pasta yesterday that was really good. Two packages of cherry tomatoes in a pan with some EVOO to blister them, mushed them down, added garlic, salt, pepper, squeeze tube basil, 2 tbsp ish of balsamic vinegar, and some grilled chicken. Couple ladles of pasta water for volume/thickness. Probably would have been better without the chicken, but it was awesome.

Dinner last night was what we, inspired by Dinner, A Love Story’s Jenny Rosenstrach, call “small plates”! It’s essentially a collection of different recipes combined together to form a full meal.

It started with homemade hummus (I think I have cursed myself by making things at home that taste better than the typical store bought editions — hummus is one example, Greek yogurt is a second, and basically all bread, bagels, and many other baked goods are another) served with yogurt flatbread — seriously so good, please make.

I accompanied that with spring onion fritters (soooo good — and not difficult to make at all, see the Baking Thread for a bit of discussion about the chickpea flour that went into them!) and a parsley sour cream dipping sauce. Next was singed broccolini tossed with a little balsamic, and finished off with a dill Napa cabbage slaw. It was scrumptious.

Two additions thoughts: Firstly, I’ve been delighted with the evolution of my understanding of hummus going from being simply a dip to what could be considered a major protein hit in a meal. Combined with the yogurt flatbread above (whose recipe is half Greek yogurt), I was happy with the amount of protein in the meal. Plus it made for a chickpea, two ways meal, what with the chickpea flour in the fritters! Which brings me to my second thought… Make these fritters!!

https://tastecooking.com/recipes/spring-onions-battered-in-chickpea-flour/
And here’s the accompanying article, talking about chickpea flour:

https://tastecooking.com/chickpea-flour-has-big-frying-power/
Okay one more thing… the recipe developer of the spring onion fritters used to work at one of my favorite restaurants in SF, Zuni Cafe! If you ever find yourself there, get the roast chicken!!

Might I suggest we move this conversation to where it rightly belongs, the Baking Thread?
Fiiiiine.

On topic: received a fluster-ton of heirloom towmaters from my CSA box so made a batch of marinara. Grabbed some fresh pasta from Corti Brothers here in Sacramento (@leggo PE I think you'd like shopping here). It was eaten so fast there was no time for pictures. Just trust that it was heckin yummo.

Fiiiiine.

On topic: received a fluster-ton of heirloom towmaters from my CSA box so made a batch of marinara. Grabbed some fresh pasta from Corti Brothers here in Sacramento (@leggo PE I think you'd like shopping here). It was eaten so fast there was no time for pictures. Just trust that it was heckin yummo.
I like shopping anywhere and everywhere with quality food products. This sounds up my alley!!

Back