The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas guys in the Superduty group I'm in on FB are flipping out. For those that don't know, if it gets cold enough, diesel turns into jello, although it's got to be really cold because of the additives they put in it. Apparently, they're being told that diesel in Texas is basically always a "summer blend" with no additives because it doesn't get cold enough there. Not sure that I buy that.

Summer blend in Alaska is typically good to zero as we can hit that temp during the "summer" season, but it will possibly smoke a bit. As far as I'm aware, this blend is typical in the lower 48.

Winter blend is good to -40. There's no need for it in Texas at the temps their expecting.

Worst case, grab a few bottles of power service white additive and mix it in the tank yourself during each fill up. Keep a bottle of red on hand for if you do experience a gelling event.

My dad buys bulk diesel for his equipment in central Maine. I don't know the exact details, but he generally puts a 50/50 mix or better of Number 1 (kerosene) with his normal #2 (home hearing oil). Obviously, this is different when it goes in a truck engine (road taxes). He could run kerosene year round, but its more expensive.

I gotta ask, is that the final ride height or just how it sits right now?
To be determined...but, approximately. It will have about 800 lbs of high seats and hunting rig equipment loaded into it, so that will lower it some. Still trying to decide whether or not to put bigger tires on it...

To be determined...but, approximately. It will have about 800 lbs of high seats and hunting rig equipment loaded into it, so that will lower it some. Still trying to decide whether or not to put bigger tires on it...
Ok makes sense now. Bigger is better. Don't forget the brush guard and winch.

Ok makes sense now. Bigger is better. Don't forget the brush guard and winch.
Hmmm. The client hasn't asked for that yet...not sure how to integrate those with the existing grill. He's more interested in the gun racks and the fold down bar in the back.
I remain unbelievably envious of that shop, Tex.
Like I said, we need some one who can weld whenever you get ready to retire...

Hmmm. The client hasn't asked for that yet...not sure how to integrate those with the existing grill. He's more interested in the gun racks and the fold down bar in the back.

Like I said, we need some one who can weld whenever you get ready to retire...
I think I'm ready!

A/C crapped out in my Civic, 2 months out of warranty, only 19k miles. If its the condenser, its covered for 10 years because they acknowledged that its defective, but from what I'm reading, a ton of people also have problems with the compressor which is more like a $2000 fix due to parts cost. Honda knows its a problem, there are multiple class action suits, but refuses to do a recall or extended warranty on the entire AC system, which is BS, since a condenser leak will also cause compressor failure due to lack of lubrication from the refrigerant.

If its the compressor, I am going to have to get on the phone and chew out the Honda USA customer service reps until they give me a "good will warranty", which can cover 90%+ of the repair costs.

Stupid millennials. Ended up making a few fixes to the stepdaughter's car over the last couple weeks...new speakers up front and fixed the lid on the center console.

They asked if they could borrow our minivan to take down to Florida so we swapped cars and I got to drive a Mazda 3 for a while. Stereo sounded like crap and the stupid armrest/console lid wobbled like crazy. Played with the balance and no sound from the front door. Popped the panel off and the speaker was blown up...not just cheesy paper speaker with a rip, this thing was blowed up. Got some Kenwoods on sale for $30 at Best Buy and some of those stupid plastic pins from AutoZone and took care of that. Took about 5 minutes on Google to figure out the console was, literally, a 10 minute fix. Pop the back of the console off, tap a couple hinge pins back in and put the cover back on.

I probably would have done this stuff anyway, because it only ended up costing $40 for parts and some of my time, but it's still infuriating that they just bitch about it instead of seeing if they can fix it. Other reason I did it is because it's actually my wife's car (long story) and step daughter has been talking about getting a new car so this one will come back here and get passed down to one of the boys in a couple years.

1968 Camaro Convertible

327 Engine

4 barrel, dual exhaust

(My Profile pic)

Other vehicles on the premises:

2004 Trailblazer EXT V8 (ole' faithful)

2007 Volvo XC90 V8 (Wife's)

2015 Tahoe (work provided)

20140427_185347_zps0436618b.jpg
WOW, a lot has changed for me since this post in this thread. I moved to a different house for one,

I still have the Camaro, but the 327 and entire drive train from that photo is gone.
Since then, I built a 383 stroker, 490HP, 505TQ, 700r4 trans, 12-bolt posi rear with 3:73's, it's a "whole different car" now.

Also, I added another toy a couple years ago that takes just as much $$ out of my savings. I bought an '06 Wrangler LJ (unlimited) that had low miles on it, still only have 81k on it now. I installed a 3.5" MetalCloak lift, 33's, new EAG bumbers, smittybuilt nerf bars to match the bar doors, etc.

Attachments

• Camaro8a.jpg
    Camaro8a.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Jeep2.jpg
    Jeep2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Jeep3.jpg
    Jeep3.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 7
^Nice to see someone else running the badland brand.
I bought it in a hurry at Harbor Freight, as I didn't want the empty bumper, at it was obviously a good deal. In hind sight, I probably would have bought a WARN, but in the 2 times that I've actually used the winch, it has performed perfectly.

I have the 12K Badland winch on my trailer in case I ever had to drag a disabled race car up onto it. That thing is a tank.

Honda dealership called, AC issue was only the condenser, so being fixed at no cost. First good news I've had in a while.

I have the 12K Badland winch on my trailer in case I ever had to drag a disabled race car up onto it. That thing is a tank.

Honda dealership called, AC issue was only the condenser, so being fixed at no cost. First good news I've had in a while.
How do you power the winch on the trailer? Dedicated battery or power from the tow vehicle? I have the physical mount in place on mine but haven't pulled the trigger for the winch yet. Not all that jazzed about having another battery to maintain.

Back