The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a torgue wrench when I did the front drive shaft - its 15 ft-lbs or 3 ugga guggas

I have one of my older hydraulic jacks I see lots of people use that to lower the transmission?

I may just pay the money but with no ski season this year I need something to do,  - i figure worst case I have it towed to the shop and bring all the pieces in a box?

Don't even need the torque wrench...just go to Google and look up how many ugga duggas it is.
I'm used to my crazy dual clutch racing bits.  My trust of ugga duggas ends at about 7000 RPMs.

I have one of my older hydraulic jacks I see lots of people use that to lower the transmission?
That's what I use, they're just awkward to balance on a little 4" circular pad with a 2x4 on it.  I like to have someone else balance while I lower it or vice versa so I don't have to hold it myself using the thigh master approach.  

Thought I’d post the “rest of the story” with the electrical gremlins on my son’s 09 cobalt.  In addition to the gages acting up his radio stopped working too.  He took it to a local garage.  They asked how long this device was in his CD player.  Apparently his gf gave him a phone holder that is supported by inserting into the CD slot.  He said it likely been there 6 months or so.   They said they took it out and everything started behaving as it should.  The thought it that this device somehow activated the CD player to think a CD had been inserted and the player mechanism was trying to read it constantly causing static/noise that corrupted the signal to his gages.  Sounds plausible and so far so good.   Only charged him $40 for the check.   Fingers crossed that’s all it was.   I never heard of such a phone holder and never would’ve thought that could be the cause.

Fine, I'll ask because we all want to know, but nobody will ask: Can we get a BMW BItch update? 

We got a copy of the report and it says on the first page that vehicle 01.was at fault but a couple pages later there’s nothing about her getting cited. Says she went left of center but it also says we failed to yield. I guess her insurance is using that as an excuse to say it’s not their problem. Wife called the sheriff to ask how they came up with that nonsense while I was ranting in the background. So, what, we failed to yield to someone who was driving down the wrong side of the road?

Wife called our insurance and they told us to take it in and get it fixed and then they would sue her insurance because they also agreed that BMW bitch was clearly at fault.

On a separate but slightly connected not, the wife got a new car yesterday. She’d been talking about getting something small with better gas mileage but we put it on hold until we knew what was going on with the minivan. Since the minivan is getting fixed, she picked up a 2020 VW Jetta. She was looking at used stuff,  but I guess COVID slowed sales so much, that the 2020’s were better deals. Turbo 4-cyl with a 6-speed manual...it’s really nice for a base model and a lot of fun to drive.

image.jpeg

man so Ive seen at least 4 really nice CJ-5's for sale lately, all out of Pueblo ( Colorados meth capital) - and all under $5K - the need some work, but so tempting!

early xmas gift to myself?

man so Ive seen at least 4 really nice CJ-5's for sale lately, all out of Pueblo ( Colorados meth capital) - and all under $5K - the need some work, but so tempting!

early xmas gift to myself?
1. I thought Craig, CO was the meth capital

2. Pueblo is the Grow House Capital of CO (maybe USA/World, but no facts to back that up)

3. Yes, buy 1 or 2 and only if it has a 258 I-6

In the late 90's I bought a '79 CJ-5 that I drove around the farm/woods that I grew up on. Loved that thing. My dad brought me to the tire shop and we grabbed a matching set of 33x12.50's that were cupped really bad and not good on pavement anymore. They rubbed (a lot) but looked awesome. I remember if I ever rolled it over my head would have been the first line of defense because the floor where the rollcage mounted was so rusted out.  

This is my kids snowmobile. I’m trying to remove the drive sprocket from the jack shaft. I assume it’s been corroding and essentially welding the 3/4” shaft and key connection together for the last 15 years. The picture shows a 3 jaw puller and I’ve bent the sprocket outwards so much it’s ready to explode off there. 

I checked a parts diagram, it’s suppose to slide off, there’s no set screw or other securing devise.

Before I popped the rivets and removed the footwell/dead pedal I used wedges on the 3 sides I could reach. I’ve soaked it in PB Blaster. 

Is there anything I can do other than add heat? Or start cutting with a disc grinder? 

2B44FD07-363D-4878-9012-E93B2943C245.jpeg

Typically when you've already put enough pressure to warp the gear, heat isn't going to help right away. 

Using a brass punch held by a set of pliers and a 2 lb Sledge, hit the center casing on the gear near the shear key slot. Rotate and hit again.

The vibration in conjunction with the pressure is usually enough to pop it loose without getting out the torch or grinder. 

The vibration in conjunction with the pressure is usually enough to pop it loose without getting out the torch or grinder. 
Finally got around to it (the garage is right under bedrooms, which severely cuts down on hammering time) and after cranking on the puller and hammering around the shaft and key it finally came off. Thanks for the advice. 

The new sprocket has a hub so different tooth configurations can be utilized, so I or the next owner should never have this issue again. 

I'm always dealing with an automobile issue of some sort,

current problem:
my 16 year old took my LJ Wrangler and slid sideways into a tree at a decent speed off-road. About $7K worth of damage.

on the bright side, I'm using this as an opportunity to remove the old shitty Rough Country lift and am installing a MetalCloak 3.5" kit that is much better.

Took me a minute to get caught up, looks like there are other Wrangler peeps on the thread. Here's mine, 2018 JKU Recon:
40685695_10215318874839460_7001087844018028544_o.jpg
In late 2017, someone rear-ended my dodge ram. After I got it back from the shop, the wife asked me over breakfast one weekend "how's it feel being the last day as a non-jeep owner?" 2hrs later we were test driving this one and doin paperwork. I've always wanted one, and absolutely love it. It's the last year of the JK series (the 2018 JL's overlapped the same year). Added a few mods here and there, but the major one was a synthetic winch to the stock HR bumper. Put up a DIY hoist in my garage to stow the top for the bikini. 35K miles on it, and taking it everywhere to expedite new rubber and lift in near future.

IMG_20200710_235409.jpg
IMG_20200703_161727.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200815155433162_COVER.jpg

I'm always dealing with an automobile issue of some sort,

current problem:
my 16 year old took my LJ Wrangler and slid sideways into a tree at a decent speed off-road. About $7K worth of damage.

on the bright side, I'm using this as an opportunity to remove the old shitty Rough Country lift and am installing a MetalCloak 3.5" kit that is much better.
Haha. I feel like I might know you IRL...one of our shop clients has a very similar story right now...Just kidding, of course, but seems to be a pretty common dilemma with Jeeps and teens.

Back