The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a nauseating amount of money this weekend on car parts for the Mazda. This should be my last "major" purchase on the car other than the driveshaft and paint. I'm looking forward to not spending any more money on this damned thing, and hopefully getting it finished this winter.

Also, air outlet duct for the radiator is finished. This will exhaust out two holes placed in the low pressure zone of the RX7's hood. Paper thin box tubing skinned in ABS plastic.

that looks pretty slick Supe. Nice work. How about some overall shots of the beast? When is the next race day?

Truth is, there's too much **** in the garage right now to even back up far enough to take an overall shot.

I'm targeting having it ready for some spring races. Still a long ways to go. I just primed the drivers's side floor pans. Need it and the driver's side half of the dash bar/cage painted so I can put the pedal assembly in there. I basically need to have everything in there ready to go for the clutch pedal. Long story short, the hydraulic TOB for clutch has to be bled outside of the car, and I don't plan on pulling the transmission back out once its in there.

I'm surprised nothing spoke to you. I thought that was pretty standard with most HUD's in cars these days.

A heater core is an easy fix and no mechanic is warranted. Have swapped many out over the years. Usually takes 3-4 hours; tops.

Worst part is flushing the system and getting all the air out.

Although I don't work much on them foreign cars. Could take a bit longer with the way they cram crap under the hood...
I have no tools and no time - and it was the second major repair of the month. It was time.

The xenon headlamp on my car went out. I've read some recommendations to switch both out since the color will be a bit off. Will it make that much of a difference? At $50 a pop, I'd rather just switch out the faulty one right now.

Went car browsing this weekend and nothing spoke to me. I'm holding out for December.
Not even one of these? :dunno:

used-smart-car-fortwo-red.jpg

I did look in a Fiat and realized my kid won't fit in the backseat. MiniCooper was out of the price range.

For the record, everything is out of my price range of "My MFing car was paid off!"

so did you say the car could be rebuilt without the hybrid motor or is the system designed so that it has to have the hybrid motor to work?

The hybrid still works...it's the gas motor that gave up the ghost. If I could get it to run without the gas engine, I'd be set.

Back