The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh I didn't know it was a Hybrid- that sucks- sorry..remind me never to fool with a combo gas hybrid like that- even though I guess I already have one..

I think that's the Ford Escape with the Mazda engine in that model? Id personally have a hard time putting that much money into it..

I drive a 2002 Tahoe - its paid for but I think I would have a difficult time putting more than a few grand into it if something came up..

as long as the car looks decent and has no other real "deterioration" issues (no rust/rot, interior looks good, pw windows are working well and not slowing down, headlight lenses aren't all scratched and yellowed (if plastic), grill and body panels aren't all cracked, paint looks good, etc.) I'd be inclined to go with the remanuf. engine. a new car without trade-in would be ~$300+ per month. That's 20 months of payments to get to $6k. The remanuf engine in guaranteed for 36 months so you can hold off on getting something else for a while. any trade-in value would be the same (because you don't have any now).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd avoid the used engine mainly due to the unknown wear & tear. Especially since you've already had one failure, what's to say that another isn't 5k down the road. A reman is the only way to go for the newer engines if you can't do the rebuild yourself.

As you've already stated, it's more expensive due to the hybrid status. This in itself sucks, but there are some shops that may work with you. From above, it sounds as if you're stuck with the dealer. I'd search around for a hole in the wall shop that does engine work, you may get a good deal (I've had 2 engine rebuilds this way in the past on different trucks and the rebuilds were better than stock for ~1/2 price).

One main question you have to ask is as the car is paid for and your already looking at approximately 1.5k in additional repairs after the engine (windshield and shoes); would that 6k in repairs be better spent on another rig?

Winning the jeep could be your best option. However, while you wait for the sweepstakes results, you can start searching for another repair facility to do the work (just in case).

as long as the car looks decent and has no other real "deterioration" issues (no rust/rot, interior looks good, pw windows are working well and not slowing down, headlight lenses aren't all scratched and yellowed (if plastic), grill and body panels aren't all cracked, paint looks good, etc.) I'd be inclined to go with the remanuf. engine. a new car without trade-in would be ~$300+ per month. That's 20 months of payments to get to $6k. The remanuf engine in guaranteed for 36 months so you can hold off on getting something else for a while. any trade-in value would be the same (because you don't have any now).

Power windows have started to squeak on the driver side.

Cars are so dumb. I feel like I need to move to Portland, OR.

The used engine is $3000; the reman is $4500.

I'm really frustrated that it seems like it was an issue with the 2006 Escape engine. I should have had at least two more years on that sucker.
Go with a different engine style altogether. Forget the hybrid part and go back to a standard, reliable engine. (since it is known that the original is only good for 80,000 miles) For 3000-$4500 + parts and labor, you now have the right to be choosy...

If you upgrade the engine, maybe you could sell it to some punk kid for more than its worth when you are done with it later down the road?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the standard, reliable engine that #$@! the bed. Most of the people reporting the issue were driving plain ol' Escapes. I probably skated by for longer because my car was also using the hybrid.

I know this- I can't afford a Tesla and there's no way I'm buying another hybrid.

I've always said if I only had two kids I would get one of those Toyota FJ cruiser's... They have a lot of redneck add on crap you can add to them
but they can't tow a whole lot of weight. Our neighbor got one so he could tow a boat...yeah that didn't turn out so well. One of those little two person fishing dinghy/johnboats are about the extent of their towing capacity.

they do have a lot of add ons though. my cousin added a scuba to his

In a car like that or a jeep with the short wheelbase really is not meant for towing..

If I lived in a warm weather climate I'd go with the jeep but for driving around -2° I think I would like an actual insulated vehicle

There are a good number of FJ's driving around at -40 in Fairbanks. I know several people in the off road group that love them.

Several jeeps too, but the soft tops are left parked for winter months (usually).

Good news! I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

Of course, it's because I dropped insurance coverage on my busted car to comprehensive. Fingers crossed the dealership backs a tow truck into it!

My car died - fractured heater core. It's fixable, but the car was reaching the end of usable life anyway. It's looking like I am keeping the car as a "I can fix this and sell it", but not spending the money for a mechanic to do it. In the meantime, I've bought a new car - Kia Soul - that is as comfortable as the old car was.

A heater core is an easy fix and no mechanic is warranted. Have swapped many out over the years. Usually takes 3-4 hours; tops.

Worst part is flushing the system and getting all the air out.

Although I don't work much on them foreign cars. Could take a bit longer with the way they cram crap under the hood...

Mr. Tex ended up replacing the work truck with one of these:

ford-bronco-1979-interior-jeffs-bronco-graveyard---classifieds-item--9837--1979-ford-bronco-pictures.jpg

Back