Thanking my references

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainjane

Reaction score
I wanted to do something to thank my 4 references, but wanted an opinion from people familiar with this process.

I currently work for the state government, and all 4 references also work for the state. Does anyone think there would be an ethical issue with sending them a small gift card or the like? I don't think there would be, especially since I've already passed the tests and I don't think it could be viewed as bribing them or anything.

I wanted to do something to thank my 4 references, but wanted an opinion from people familiar with this process.

I currently work for the state government, and all 4 references also work for the state. Does anyone think there would be an ethical issue with sending them a small gift card or the like? I don't think there would be, especially since I've already passed the tests and I don't think it could be viewed as bribing them or anything.
Not an ethical issue, per se, I know we can only accept gifts of $10 and under. To play it safe, since I’m unsure what the state guidelines are, I’d do a super polite and heartfelt thank you letter or email

After I got licensed, I sent an email to each reference and each person who verified my work experience (if they were different people). Letting them know that I got licensed and thanking them. I didn't even think to send a gift.

If it wasn't for COVID, I'd suggest offering to take them to lunch as a thank you and as an opportunity to catch-up.

The ethics rules vary from place to place. But generally speaking, you shouldn't give gifts to anyone in your management chain* or the potential to hire/evaluate you.

*some gifts allowed for enumerated reasons only.

To play it safe, since I’m unsure what the state guidelines are, I’d do a super polite and heartfelt thank you letter or email
^this! I agree that this is best way to go.

calling gov't employees: @RBHeadge PE @JayKay PE
Strange, this didn't appear in my alerts... I found this thread by accident.

Thanks for the insight! I did end up just sending a nice email. I know it can get a bit tricky with stuff like this, but hopefully someday I can take them to lunch or something.

Good call. There are two aspects. One is the State policy. The other is the potential for possible perception by references themselves. If they are now or will be in future be in a position to interview you for another position or promotion, it can place them in an uncomfortable position. That is best avoided for your and their sake. Congratulations on passing.

Back