Texas EIT moving to Chicago

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapstx

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am an EIT in Texas and I have passed my PE exam. I received my B.S. from Texas A&M in Engineering Technology which means I need to obtain 8 years exp before I can apply for my Texas PE license. I am currently at 7 years 6 months. I was recently laid off in Texas and have decided that I'm moving to Chicago. Illinois does not recognize my degree (1380.220e) as acceptable to apply for a PE despite it meeting all the qualifications outlined in 1380.220b.

Can I apply for my Texas PE by completing my work exp with the remaining 6 months out of state and then apply for reciprocity in Illinois?

Can I petition the IL PE board to consider my application given that I can prove coursework requirements were met?

Should I give up altogether and move to the woods???

Hello all!

I am an EIT in Texas and I have passed my PE exam. I received my B.S. from Texas A&M in Engineering Technology which means I need to obtain 8 years exp before I can apply for my Texas PE license. I am currently at 7 years 6 months. I was recently laid off in Texas and have decided that I'm moving to Chicago. Illinois does not recognize my degree (1380.220e) as acceptable to apply for a PE despite it meeting all the qualifications outlined in 1380.220b.

Can I apply for my Texas PE by completing my work exp with the remaining 6 months out of state and then apply for reciprocity in Illinois?

Can I petition the IL PE board to consider my application given that I can prove coursework requirements were met?

Should I give up altogether and move to the woods???

Per chance, your background isn't in structural engineering, is it?

Has the Illinois PE Board dinged anything specific to your degree program, or is it more a matter that you don't (yet) have the 8 years experience?

Hello fellow Ag! :) So sorry to hear that you were laid off. Honestly I could see either option working for you (with likely the first one being a little easier, since you already passed the exam in Texas - then you can just apply for licensure in Illinois by reciprocity). I feel like you should be able to apply with experience out of state, but unfortunately am not 100% sure. Have you tried giving the board a call to check?

@Reverse Polish ,
My background is in mechanical design and product development. After passing my PE on the first try I considered continuing the study momentum and attempting the SE but decided against additional torture...

The illinois administrative code outlining professional engineers (1380.220E) states,
"The Division, upon the recommendation of the Board, has determined that educational credit leading to a degree in engineering technology does not meet the requirements for a non-approved engineering program or a related science curriculum in accordance with this Section"

I would say that is a pretty cut and dry rejection of my degree.

@txjennah PE
I need to pose these questions directly to the IL board... I have read that there is no reciprocity in IL, that you have to apply for en IL license with your degree, exams, and SER paperwork as if you were applying for the first time... no benifit of the doubt being licenses in another state.

Back