Test day references

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmotivatedengineer

Reaction score
What us the best way to organize loose paper references for exam day? Is it best to use large binders to hold multiple references and types of notes in 1 spit, or multiple small binders so that each reference is independent of one another? I thought about doing them all individually,  but having 1 large binder may make it easier in terms of table space and not having to constantly move books on and off the table.

I had a combo of both large and small. It is more important to know where to look. Organize your notes accordingly. It'll make it easier during the exam.

It probably varies by state and testing site.  For both the PE and SE Vertical days Montana only has a single testing site in which you share a table with a test taker and there is no additional room.  Every reference stayed in my box until I needed it, as there was really only room for 1-reference +test on my table at a time.  However, the SE Lateral (saturday) there were only 3 of us, and we got tables to ourselves which allowed us to spread out.

I'd just plan on not having much room and work from there.  So if that means combining, that seems like the easier option.  Especially the friday SE morning portion... I was constantly cycling through references.  It was definitely a pain.

Obviously I mean that testing sites vary in terms of table space... I'm rarely clear in my responses.

I took the Electrical - Power PE exam in Alabama.  I took the Georgia Tech course where they provided a three ring binder with the class material.  I expanded my information and ended using an additional binder along with the GA tech one.  I sorted my class notes and new info and used tabs to sort info by subject.  In each tabbed section I inserted a sheet of paper listing all the pertinent sample test problem numbers along with the appropriate sample test reference books (I kept my sample tests separate from the binders). Each sample test problem number was categorized under the appropriate subject heading.  That way as I was working a test problem if I couldn't find a comparable sample test problem I could quickly dive into my material. Basically I did a very anal cross reference.  By having only two big books I saved table space and didn't have to flip through a lot of reference material.  I still brought in other reference books for moral support and just in case I couldn't find the answer in my 3 rings.  Maybe more than you wanted to know but hope it helps. 

Back